Sign in to follow this  
Test Pilot

1680x1050 Resolution

I just got a 22 inch monitor and was flying OFF2 at the native resolution of 1680x1050. The game was impossible to play as frames were around 1.5. After setting the resolution to 1280x800, I was able to once again get flyable frame rates. Certainly a bigger monitor would increase the load on my GPU, but no way would I get just 1.5 only to get mid 30s at a slightly lower resolution. Is this a known issue with the game or do I have a problem on my end???? Regular CFS runs fine as does FSX at the native resolution of the monitor so Im doubting it would be an issue on my end (at least not all my fault!). If it is a bug, can I run Phase 3 at my native resolution? Using Vista 64 with 5gb of ram and a 9800gtx+ 512mb video card.

Edited by Test Pilot

We do not support P2, but there is no normal reason why widescreen wouldn't work. I run at 1920x1200 fine here as do many others.

If you are struggling you WILL need to set the sliders lower in cfsconfig.exe for terrain and scenery - they are not the same as CFS3... try those two on 2

OFF "3" is the equivalent of "5" on CFS sliders.

P3 scenery is higher res and quality but more optimised.

We do not support P2, but there is no normal reason why widescreen wouldn't work. I run at 1920x1200 fine here as do many others.

If you are struggling you WILL need to set the sliders lower in cfsconfig.exe for terrain and scenery - they are not the same as CFS3... try those two on 2

OFF "3" is the equivalent of "5" on CFS sliders.

P3 scenery is higher res and quality but more optimised.

[/quote

The curious thing is that the colors looked odd (eg. green dust trails) at lower resolutions but cleared up on higher ones. But having sliders turned all the way down or all the way maxed made no difference at 1680x1050 only to run very well at a 1280x800 so that's why I doubt it had to do with my settings being too high. Hopefully it's just some bug with OFF2 and CFS on my computer and once OFF3 arrives here, it will be a thing of the past.

Thanks for help guys. I'll be trying that link out. Another observation though; I was getting the same frame rate running dual monitors while watching a baseball game on the other screen and flying on the bigger monitor as I had while running one monitor. 1280x800 on one and 1024x768 on the other and no problems at all but once move it on up to 1680x1050 even if not in dual monitor mode and performance just about dies. Just another reason to upgrade to a 3.0+ quad core I suppose!

Faster processor is always nice, but Im never going less than a quad core since they are getting faster and cheaper now. I can say for certain though that Flight Simulator X uses all cores you got, provided you have SP2. For all the heat that ACES has taken for coding the game the way they did, their multiple processor support (up to 256 or so) makes it one of the few programs that even now utilizes all of them - not to mention very little memory leaking. OFF isn't designed to use them all, but I will say that I see spikes in CPU usage from the other 3 cores when flying OFF so a quad at the very least takes some pressure off the other processor for background tasks (and maybe even some in-game processing/texture work). I can run virus scan, defrag in the background or anything else (with Vista 64) and not see much of a performance hit if at all. So even if a program doesn't use all cores itself, other programs still can operate without impacting the game. Unless of course I have a freak computer, and perhaps upgrading isn't a great idea then..... :biggrin: More likely though, I m just confused about what Im saying!

The 3 + part is important for OFF, the Quad Core ain't. Outside of the Military, there are NO Flight Simulations that can utilise more than 2 cores
Edited by Test Pilot

Well in case anyone else has the same sort of stuff going on, it seems I had some conflict with my nhancer settings. A reinstall of it seemed to fix every thing in OFF and now runs much, much better.