Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Clouds are the real enemy

After 6 hours and 2 confirmed kills my lateist pilot went West after flying into a cloud and losing his wings due to the inevitable spin.He was flying a Nieuport 11.

Is this just a trait of the Nieuport or are all the aircraft/ pilots dicing with death when entering cloud banks?

After 6 hours and 2 confirmed kills my lateist pilot went West after flying into a cloud and losing his wings due to the inevitable spin.He was flying a Nieuport 11.

Is this just a trait of the Nieuport or are all the aircraft/ pilots dicing with death when entering cloud banks?

The clouds are killers of all planes, avoid them at all times.

Flying into the big fluffies is bad...very, very bad. I ducked my 1 1/2 into one of those to throw off a brace of Einies a while back and nearly went west because of it. I now make it a habit to go under, over, or around the clouds.

Cheers!

Lou

As I hear it, the art of soaring was discovered in the 20's/early 30's in Germany. Young glider students found that if you flew on days when there was a rain front/cumulus clouds, instead of skimming down a long grassy hill, you'd get pulled up. Now, un-powered gliders had a way to actually gain altitude.

Actually, in reality, if you go into a cloud in an aircraft without an attitude indicator, you are gambling with your life.

Spatial disorientation has killed a lot of aviators over the years.

FC

I think you can survive when flying in a cloud, as long as the wind speed is less than 5 knots. Anything above that, however, and you are risking your (virtual) life.

I think you can survive when flying in a cloud, as long as the wind speed is less than 5 knots. Anything above that, however, and you are risking your (virtual) life.

FC is an Real Pilot :good:

i think he have know how to talk about it.

Clouds caused by convection rarely have that effect

Clouds caused by inversion (opposing fronts) are always a threat.