Sign in to follow this  
Coot

Cold War desktop icons

Cold War desktop icons

Here are some Cold War themed desktop icons for use with the Third Wire series. Some have text while others do not. I tried to be creative with these and there are a variety to choose from.

NOTICE

The icons in this package were created from 48X48 bitmap images. Converting them into a windows desktop icon takes them down to 32X32. Some of these I have found to be not very clear when using them in a default Windows XP setup. Some look just fine at this size but some do not.(Some text is hard to see) I just started using a shareware version of something called IconX that essentially makes my Windows XP icons look more like Vista icons. This program allows me to basically enlarge the icons to any level while at the same time scaling them appropriately so that they do not loose any visual quality. So with this program for example, all of the icons are large and clear for me. I don't use Windows Vista so I do not know how these icons will scale for you folks. I assume you all won't have issues with them as Vista icons seem to have been designed much larger and with more versatility than XP.(Please forgive my ignorance here I just don't know much about it and I'm still learning)

As a result there are two packs in one here. A zip with the icons and a zip with the original 48X48 bitmaps. That way if someone has a specific need or adjustment they must make to get the most out of these icons, the original bitmaps are available to them to tweak as needed.

The download zip is called "Cold War Icons and Bitmaps". Inside this are the "Cold War Icons" zip and the "Cold War 48X48 Bitmaps" zip.

Just extract these zips to a temporary place and have a look and see what you can use. Also have at the provided bitmaps if you would like.

Thanks again,

Coot

mmm, very interesting, something like this could be useful for LOTS of stuff besides SF.

Ok, I'm in.

SF.jpg

I like the more deep surreal icons.

Forget the text. Can't read it. Pics can be just as informative. Maybe its a Xen thing. :dntknw:

Hey Lexx sorry about the text. That's why I put that notice there. When I use IconX all of the icons are big and clear and the text is just fine. But on standard XP it makes them 32X32 which makes the text hard to read. That's why I was using IconX to make everything almost Vista-like.

I'll try to make a second pack that will have no text in them. Just an image so that it can be labeled to the user's needs. Also......

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to make the icons look like they belong to a Cold War theme. That was part of my reason for attempting to put text in there so as to be somewhat specific, but if there are any suggestions on the type of image to use that would be good for insinuating the Cold War without having to use text I would be grateful. I think I accomplished that with the missile launch version of the icon but I need more ideas.

As I side note I was pretty tickled with the outcome of the icon with the aircraft silhouette and reflections.

Edited by Coot

Okay, an example. Say an icon for gun editor. Do a Glock. lol, or some aircraft gun. Focus on the muzzle, looking back maybe, ie...try for a small 3D depth perception effect, you know like railroad tracks.

Lots of possibilities for Weapon Editor, Weapon folder, Weapon data file, etc...

Your missile launch icons are greatl; mainly the versions with the changing background colour that approximates the sky getting darker higher off the horizon. The way you do it in those versions, both blue and green, has a modernistic surrealistic tone to it. But that does not mean unrealistic. In fact just the opposite. There are two places to find hardcore surrealism in nature: (1) The surface of other planets, and (2) the atmosphere of Earth -- the air warfare environment when at its visual best.

AwSim :good:

mmm, an anti-aircraft gun, one of the BIG ones, pointing at the sky, would be good icon for Gun Editor or Gun Data.

Thanks for the suggestions. I try to come up with some more without text this time.