Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Olham goes Tripe

As a result of my question, where and which the best British units are, I picked 10 RNAS

for a start. I wanted to try the Tripe, as I hadn't flown it before, and - Olham way - with

twin Vickers!

So, now David Marlowe (see pilot photo) is going Tripehound now.

This plane was incredible. It is easier to handle than the Dr.1 (which is also not too difficult),

and extremely agile. So much, that - as in the Dr.1 - I found aiming and hitting someone

very hard. She reacts on any stick movement at once. After the Albatros, I will have to

change a lot, to become better.

It is very easy to get target-fixated in this crate, as you can follow them to hell and back.

Once you're behind an Albatros DV at close range, the poor devil has no chance left, except

someone shooting you off his tail (which happened to me, due to my fixation).

I'll carry on though (made an emergency landing west of Lens), and I'll also try the Pup.

Edited by Olham

Wow! The Albatrosmeister goes Triplane? And a British Tripe at that! I think the character of the war just changed.

Olham, whose Albatros are you chasing? I keep hoping that black and white paint scheme will turn up among my choices of adversary, but I haven't seen it yet.

And while we're in Triplanes, does anyone know why the generator propellar [i'm assuming it's an electrical generator] on the strut turns so slow? Was it geared down?

Edited by Hauksbee

I didn't read an ace name; I think it was from Jasta 32. Ace Bruno Loerzer, I think, had that design.

Or was it Dannhuber? Paarma?

The little propeller is for the British secret weapon "OCoT-IFBD". (One Cup of Tea - In Flight Brewing Device).

For that device, they invented the tea bag, which you put into a tin cup, that you then introduce to the device.

With two turn switches, you can choose from three amounts of sugar: 'Tough Ace', 'Nice like at home' or 'Ladylike' ,

and three doses of cream: 'Cornish', 'Welsh' or 'English'.

I wish, we had that in our Albatros fighters, as I'm an Ostfriese (we drink more tea per person than the English even),

but the Ostfriesen are a very small minority in Germany, so they didn't bother at "Idflieg".

Edited by Olham

Funny you should pick 10RNAS. I want to profile aces from different countries in my videos. I was reading about Raymond Collishaw and thought he would be a good candidate for the Canadians. You will be with him and the “Black Flight”, at least until the end of July when he transferred. If I’m not mistaken you might also meet up with Jasta 11. Sounds like you’re going to have fun!

Hey Olham,

You'll definitely have to change you energy management habits, no more boom'n'zoom, it's turn'n'burn with this kite.

Don't follow the enemy down, you'll be playing into their sneaky hands, but instead stay high and try to bounce them when they zoom up. This works to advantage with the Tripehound's climbing and turn ability. ALSO this is the best tactic when outnumbered (if you want to stay in RNAS character, you just HAVE to go it against the odds...).

Just watch out for the occasionally 'magic-bullet' shot from below... The accuracy of the AI at long range is frustrating.

Huaksbee, if the little cabane prop is the same as for the Camel (which appears not to have one in OFF?), then I've heard it widely stated it was for a generator, but I've also read from a reliable source it was for the fuel pressure pump.

AND OH, I fought that B&W Alb before, but never caught the name... Nice paint job!

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Traitor!!! :bad:

Haha!! That's a far relative of mine, OvS, who was born in Lyme Regis, England.

Me and my German brothers - Detlev, Juergen,Guenther and Wolfram - remain flying with

German Jastas.

Here are two pics showing a) that propeller, and b) that Collishaw didn't seem to have it.

(Perhaps he was no tea-drinker as a Canadian?)

Edited by Olham

I didn't read an ace name; I think it was from Jasta 32. Ace Bruno Loerzer, I think...

The little propeller is for the British secret weapon...For that device, they invented the tea bag...

TEA IN A BAG? Brilliant. Now we won't have to fumble with that slippery little cannister. Holding the lid in your teeth while cranked over in a high-G turn, and extracting just the right pinch of tea for a single cuppa', while tracers whip past, and then...trying to stuff it into the Tea Receiver on the kettle [losing most to the wind and inevitably scalding the tip of your thumb] while a flapping aileron is about to tear loose...well...it's been trying on the nerves. And makes for a damned poor cup of tea in the bargain.. But now, [as soon as I read the bloody manual!] it'll be 'real tea' for the ol' Hauk, and "Six-of-the-best, trousers-down" for Harry Hun!

Bruno Loerzer! That name rang a bell. I checked around, and sure enough, It was him. Lozenge pattern on top of wings. The URL below is worth a look for Albatros fans.

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Miller/re...tros/index.html

...and a damned fine cup of tea, it was!

Snap!... I have just started a campaign in a Tripe too!

Snap!... I have just started a campaign in a Tripe too!
Well, don't fail to try out the new tea maker!

I haven't flown the Tripe even once in OFF, but I'll add it to my long list of planes to be tested. It must be a killer, if it's anything like the Dr.I. I almost feel sorry for that Alb in Olham's sights! (Olham, how can you shoot down those beauties? Doesn't your heart bleed every time you fire an English bullet into Albatrosses?) :yes:

Edited by Hasse Wind

Yes, it did, Hasse Wind.

But I'm not too fixed on taking sides in the air combat sims about the world wars.

I always liked flying the Spitfire and the Hurricane in WW2 sims; also the Lightning, Mustang, Hellcat, Zero and Frank.

In WW1, I will explore all of the Allied's planes.

The Tripe is a very good one to start with - easy to fly, very agile turn fighter. A bit limited view, with three wings.

But if you like turnfighting, it should be great fun.

I feel somehow related to the English people; I like their originality, their humour, and their beautiful country.

And I wished, that more of us would give up strictly fighting for one side of the trenches.

It might tear down walls in our heads, if we did.

And, back in the mess, the main difference between them young pilots would just be the language.

I feel somehow related to the English people...

Probably because the royal family has been German for the last three hundred years...?

Probably because the royal family has been German for the last three hundred years...?

Hah, a good observation! Didn't they actually change their names to Windsor during WW1 to sound more British than the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha or whatever their name was back then?

Olham:

I don't have any national preferences in flight sims either. I mostly fly for the side with the best or most interesting turn fighters.

Olham, after you are done with the Tripe, try the camel and Viper. They aren't as well rounded as the Albatros D's of course, (lacking in form a bit, where the Albitri blend form and function! :good: ) but they are good fighters.

Hmmmmm, perhaps with a better paint job they might compete. :haha:

ZZ.

Hah, a good observation! Didn't they actually change their names to Windsor during WW1 to sound more British than the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha....

Yes. I did a quick search [to check the time/date] and found that Queen Victoria was the last Hannover. Some nuance of Salic Inheritence Law forbade her from passing on the family name. So Edward VII became a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

Well, I don't miss any Royals here - the last Kaiser made a rather hasty escape to the Netherlands,

and we managed quite well without. But it's alright for the countries, that are still monarchies.

Since my first Tripe pilot made a fatal mistake, another ancestor of mine took over.

Just had a ballon busting mission with him, and he killed two Albatros DV.

My, it IS hard to do for an Albatros lover. Damn hard...

Flight Lieutenant David Oldham

Droglandt, July 29th, 1917

On our way to a German obs ballon by the north sea coast, we came across two all black

Albatros DV scouts. Flight one was already turning with them, some 2.000 feet higher.

But when we arrived, one of them zoomed down, to escape Lance Wells.

He flew my direction, but hadn't noticed me, as he pulled up again. He climbed right into

my line of fire and got some. Now he dived under my craft. I rolled her on her back and

followed him with half a down loop. He did desperate zigzagging moves, but was already

less manoeuverable. He got more bursts from my Vickers. They can take quite a lot, but

after the third burst, he caught fire and crashed into a little wood.

Now my flight - Cook, Reinard and Adolph - turned with the other German, while flight 1

travelled on. They left him to us. When I got behind him, I shot him up terribly; huge bits

came off, and he went down, pulling a trail of dark smoke.

So much for my dogfighting. The ballon was tougher. I made three attack runs on it, but

it wouldn't blow up! It was Reinard, who got him at last. All the time, some 5 or 6 Albatros

circled over the coast, about two miles away. But they didn't come down.

As the Flak fire got annoiing, I went down once more to give the spotter ground crew

some fire. Way back was safe, and landing easy.

Now we just have a mouthy, Rascist Greek!!! :smile:

Hah, a good observation! Didn't they actually change their names to Windsor during WW1 to sound more British than the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha or whatever their name was back then?

Olham:

I don't have any national preferences in flight sims either. I mostly fly for the side with the best or most interesting turn fighters.

Hasse WInd,

The reason they changed their name was because of a german bomber the Gotha, although the anti-german public destroying the property of anyone with a german sounding name may have helped somewhat.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

And so Battenberg became Mountbatten. The Champain-and-Caviar people always find a way...