Sign in to follow this  
Flogger23m

How to fix the amount of SAMs...

I am new to WoI, and I started downloading some mods. I downloaded a few aircraft addons and Mirage Factory's weapon addon. Now though, when I select air defenses to be "light" in the single missions, there are lots of SA-8s scattered all over the place. The worse part is ECMs, chaff and flares do nothing to deter them. Once they are launched, they automaticlly hit you. There is no way to out manuver them. So, I would like to know how to fix the "light" air defence setting. I would like the "light" setting to be how it was out of the box (a few AAAs and a few SAMs here and there).

I want the air defences to be light again... not have the ground filled with 100% accurate SA-8s. How do fix this?

The First Thing I would do is Change the Availability of the SA-8. You can do it via editting the SA-8 Data.ini. Once it's done, would have to be "Saved" in the Weapons Editor. Here's My Example to try first:

[WeaponData001]

TypeName=SA-8

FullName=SA-8

ModelName=SA-8

Mass=128.000000

Diameter=0.210000

Length=3.200000

SubsonicDragCoeff=0.120000

SupersonicDragCoeff=0.222000

AttachmentType=

SpecificStationCode=

NationName=SOVIET

StartYear=1968

EndYear=2020

Availability=2 <<<< Change from 2 to 4. 2 is "Common". 4 is "Very Rare".

BaseQuantity=24

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=1969

ExportEndYear=2020

ExportAvailability=2

WeaponDataType=1

RailLaunched=FALSE

RocketPod=FALSE

Retarded=FALSE

FinStabilized=TRUE

SpinStabilized=FALSE

HasGrowl=FALSE

EffectClassName=LargeMissileEffects

ReleaseDelay=2.000000

WarheadType=0

Explosives=15.000000

FusingDistance=15.000000

ClusterBomblets=0

ClusterDispersion=0.000000

GuidanceType=12

Accuracy=80

MaxTurnRate=12.000000

MaxLaunchG=6.000000

LockonChance=80

LaunchReliability=85

ArmingTime=4.000000

SeekerFOV=60.000000

SeekerGimbleLimit=135.000000

SeekerTrackRate=11.000000

SeekerRange=55000.000000

CLmax=14.000000

MinFreq=0.000000

MaxFreq=0.000000

MinLaunchRange=0.000000

MaxLaunchRange=8000.000000

Semper Fi!

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

I am new to WoI, and I started downloading some mods. I downloaded a few aircraft addons and Mirage Factory's weapon addon. Now though, when I select air defenses to be "light" in the single missions, there are lots of SA-8s scattered all over the place. The worse part is ECMs, chaff and flares do nothing to deter them. Once they are launched, they automaticlly hit you. There is no way to out manuver them. So, I would like to know how to fix the "light" air defence setting. I would like the "light" setting to be how it was out of the box (a few AAAs and a few SAMs here and there).

I want the air defences to be light again... not have the ground filled with 100% accurate SA-8s. How do fix this?

What I did (rather than editing the weapons data for the acutal SA-8 missile) is edit the availability of the SA-8 ground object (launcher). If you look at the availability and export availability, they are set to Common and very_rare (respectively). Now in single missions (game generated), there is no specific enemy nation that you are fighting, so the game engine uses the regular availability for the object ("common" in this case). As a result, SA-8's get used A LOT in random single missions.

On the other hand, in campaigns, you are fighting against a specific enemy nation, and (in the case of WOI) they are not the nation of origin for the SA-8. As a result the campaign engine will use the export availability to determine the frequency with which the SA-8 shows up in campaign missions. So during campaigns, the SA-8 should not show up nearly as much ("very_rare").

So, long story short, the way I fixed this issue was to make sure both availabilities for the SA-8 ground object are set to "Very_rare". It should reduce the frequency with which they show up. However, I have noticed that the TW game engine (in other titles as well, ie - WOE) really seems to like the SA-8, and it will sometimes still show up more than it should.

But anyway, give the availability change a try. Or you could just delete the SA-8 from the ground objects folder all together.

:good:

Like Malibu said, the engine seem to favor SA-8 over a lot of things. Probaly because of the availability thing. Also, don't forget the unit itself is set as "mobile_AAA", making the game engine populate the map with them over others.

(btw, methinks this is beause it starts with an "S" and the regular AAA units all start with "Z", ala Zu-23, ZSU-23, ZSU-57, etc. I belive the engine pull items from the GroundObject folder in alphabetical order. The only way around it is to edit the terrain's _types and _targets ini, specificying certain types of AD units over others. Not a lot of work, but time consuming. This is the method I perfer; it gets what I want right where I want it!)

for something like WoI, you can always change the Experted= to FALSE, and the regular availabilit to Very_Rare. That should most definatly work!

wrench

kevin stein

(btw, methinks this is beause it starts with an "S" and the regular AAA units all start with "Z", ala Zu-23, ZSU-23, ZSU-57, etc. I belive the engine pull items from the GroundObject folder in alphabetical order. The only way around it is to edit the terrain's _types and _targets ini, specificying certain types of AD units over others. Not a lot of work, but time consuming. This is the method I perfer; it gets what I want right where I want it!)

wrench

kevin stein

I think I experimented with naming the SA-13 launcher "a_SA-13" or something like that once. I can't remeber for sure, though. I still got SA-8's more than others...