Sign in to follow this  
OlPaint01

Bomb Damage to Bridges

Hello TailSpin

With the FMs that Peter01 has published for First Eagles EP1 Nov 08 patch which add the ability to fly the heavy A/C, I have been inspired to fly bomber missions in the game.

I see realistic damage at the aerodromes that I attack with smoke and flame showing on direct hits on the various assets and ruined structures or vehicles or aircraft remaining. But I am unable to see any visible damage to the bridges that I attack and apparently score direct hits upon. Are there LOD and BMP files that I need to load to show dropped bridge spans after a successful attack?

OlPaint01

Hi OlPaint. FE includes destroyed bridge lods and textures. AFAIK there are no damaged textures so until the bridge is destroyed it will not show damage. Smaller bombs do little damage even after several hits however the big bombs carried by the heavy bomber should take out a bridge with one or two hits.

Hi Tailspin,

Would it be possible to reduce the number of direct bomb hits required to show visible damage? It is quite a difficult task to even score one hit without a workable bombsight in the heavy bombers at high altitude level. I can dive bomb fairly accurately now but it would be nice to see bomb damage after one direct hit.

OlPaint01

Yes, it should be. If you'll look the *terrain name*_Types.ini you'll find:

[TargetType018]

Name=Bridge1

FullName=Bridge

ModelName=frBridge1.lod

TargetType=BRIDGE

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=1000.0

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=100.0

ArmorValue=30000.0

ArmorType=0

RepairRate=0.10

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=8000.0

CollisionMesh=frBridge1_col.lod

DestroyedEffect=LargeShortStructureCollapse

DestroyedModel=frBridge1_dest.lod

DamagePoint= or ArmorValue= values should do the trick. I would try lowering DamagePoint= first. I think the high ArmorValue= keeps things from being destroyed by maching gun fire. Keep in mind, I'm just guessing about that. I haven't tested it. It'll take some "trial and error". Let us know what you come up with. :good:

ps...I do know that the German PuW300 300kg. bomb will destroy a bridge. I watched an AI Gotha take one out with with a direct hit. He only had 2 bombs and it looked like one hit the water...not to say that one didn't contribute to the damage factor.

Thanks! :wink:

I knew some bombing missions were a failure since I saw the objective in the briefing... :blink: