Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

I'm going on leave

Tired...really tired!...Not even been flying much at all.

Going to take a break for a few days...maybe Paris!

Cya later guys

groan.......

did paris,,,,5 days,,,got up every day at 8,,,had the maps guides ect ect,,,ran around till usually about 5ish....saw everything there was to see. From there went to london, and started the whole thing over again,,,on the third day we are looking at big ben,,when it dawned on both of us we couldnt give 2 s**ts if we saw big ben or not....That was the last time we ever wasted our time seeing stuff we thout we had to see just "cause we were there".....drove straight to stonehendge,,,and did just about the whole northern coast of the uk...

Perhaps rather some country side in Flanders or the Marne region - you could visit some of the

villages where they had aerodromes, and the fresh air would do you good.

PS: whereever you go - have a nice holiday, Widow!

Edited by Olham

Tired...really tired!...Not even been flying much at all.

Going to take a break for a few days...maybe Paris!

Cya later guys

just came back couple days ago from paris. it was about the 5th time i was there and i really love it. almost feel like at home there.

if you need some vacancy there, i can give you an emailadress and a link to their website. it's officially bed'n' breakfast but it was one of the loveliest places i have ever been. a mansion (like in resident evil games) and the most beautiful house i've ever been with very lovely owners. unbelievable cheap and only handful miles from downtown.

on the third day we are looking at big ben,,when it dawned on both of us we couldnt give 2 s**ts if we saw big ben or not....That was the last time we ever wasted our time seeing stuff we thout we had to see just "cause we were there".....

I have to agree with that. I've probably spent a total of 2 months in the UK (spread over several trips), and I can count on 1 hand the number of nights I spent in towns of more than 1000 people. The vast majority of the cool stuff to see is out in the countryside, and at the top of the list of "cool things to see" are the local people of the out-of-the-way places. Especially the women when you tell them you're from Texas and have the accent to back that claim up. Besides all that babe-magnet badboy cachet that Texas has, women know everything's bigger in Texas :rofl: .

But seriously, I'm no fan of any city, US or otherwise. I realize that my redneck perspective is very much the minority view of the geographically huge but relatively unpopulated "fly-over territory" of the US, but no matter where in the civilized world you live, you can see a big, dirty, crime-infested, but somehow nevertheless snobbish and self-righteous city within a few miles of your home. So why pay big money to cross an ocean to see another?

I went into London to see the IWM (to pay an artilleryman's respects to the Nery Gun) and the incredible collections in the Tower, plus HMS Belfast adjacent. But what I remember most fondly of that trip is trying to learn a few bits of Cockney rhyming slang in a pub nearby. I've seen the Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids from 30,000' feet and have never felt the need to get any closer. But trying to learn how to curse in local Welsh slang in the only pub for miles, or in local Mexican slang in a brothel in Acuna, or in local Arabic slang in the only coffeehouse for dozens of miles, is to me much more of an attraction. Plus, all the cool ruins are in those distant neighborhoods.

I have to agree with that. I've probably spent a total of 2 months in the UK (spread over several trips), and I can count on 1 hand the number of nights I spent in towns of more than 1000 people. The vast majority of the cool stuff to see is out in the countryside, and at the top of the list of "cool things to see" are the local people of the out-of-the-way places. Especially the women when you tell them you're from Texas and have the accent to back that claim up. Besides all that babe-magnet badboy cachet that Texas has, women know everything's bigger in Texas :rofl: .

But seriously, I'm no fan of any city, US or otherwise. I realize that my redneck perspective is very much the minority view of the geographically huge but relatively unpopulated "fly-over territory" of the US, but no matter where in the civilized world you live, you can see a big, dirty, crime-infested, but somehow nevertheless snobbish and self-righteous city within a few miles of your home. So why pay big money to cross an ocean to see another?

I went into London to see the IWM (to pay an artilleryman's respects to the Nery Gun) and the incredible collections in the Tower, plus HMS Belfast adjacent. But what I remember most fondly of that trip is trying to learn a few bits of Cockney rhyming slang in a pub nearby. I've seen the Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids from 30,000' feet and have never felt the need to get any closer. But trying to learn how to curse in local Welsh slang in the only pub for miles, or in local Mexican slang in a brothel in Acuna, or in local Arabic slang in the only coffeehouse for dozens of miles, is to me much more of an attraction. Plus, all the cool ruins are in those distant neighborhoods.

when i go in the 'rubber dub dub' all i get is ear ache off the 'trouble and strife' :biggrin: ....

when i go in the 'rubber dub dub' all i get is ear ache off the 'trouble and strife' :biggrin: ....

Never take the trouble and stife anywhere, but most especially never to the rubber dub dub, unless you can go up the apples and be with Vera Lynn in the bush, or perhaps the other way around :blink: .

But mind you, I said I was TRYING to learn Cockney rhyming slang. The above sallies have pretty much expended my ammo, and some shots were no doubt far wide of the mark. I haven't practiced it in years, and it goes away like any foreign language you don't use.

I must admit, however, that while I enjoy busting out with some exotic turn of phrase, my main reason for trying to learn local slang wherever I go is economical drinking, especially where the USD is worth less than the local currency. I've found that if I put a valiant effort into learning a couple of phrases, the natives will buy me drinks the rest of the night in exchange for me trying to teach them my own local slang. Thus, maybe they can impress some girl from a different village, and I drink mostly for free, so everybody goes away happy :good: .

If you go to Paris do not miss the "Musée de l'Air et l'Espace" at Le Bourget: you'll be able to see one of Guynemer's authentic Spad VII...and also a Fokker DVII as a static oponent hanging to the ceiling of the museum.