• Announcements

• Erik

26 September - Maintenance Notification   09/21/2024

CombatACE.com will be offline this upcoming Thursday morning, September 26, 2024. The duration of this event will be 4-5 hours. Our website will be unavailable and return an error during that time. Maintenance of our equipment is unavoidable, and this downtime will allow the opportunity to replace worn and damaged fans, power supply units, and thermal paste throughout all our equipment. Thank you for reading our maintenance advisory.

I recently Got Wings over Europe for around 5 bucks, and when i saw that you could download planes.. I found this website immediately. I got an account and tried to download, but i can't really get it. I've tried multiple ways and methods. Most Games that can support downloads like The Sims 2 has a folder where you unzip the files and place them in the downloads folder, but WOE doesn't seem to have this...

Please Help! :dntknw:

P.S. I didn't know where to put this topic.. So i though this forum was the best, if there's a better one, please excuse me.

Edited by Warrior108

I recently Got Wings over Europe for around 5 bucks, and when i saw that you could download planes.. I found this website immediately. I got an account and tried to download, but i can't really get it. I've tried multiple ways and methods. Most Games that can support downloads like The Sims 2 has a folder where you unzip the files and place them in the downloads folder, but WOE doesn't seem to have this...

Please Help! :dntknw:

P.S. I didn't know where to put this topic.. So i though this forum was the best, if there's a better one, please excuse me.

You can't download the files, or you don't know where to put the files?

If you don't know where to put them, they come with this file called 'Read Me' that gives you instructions.

Welcome to CA Warrior108

What I do is I have a folder on my front page that is just for simulator downloads, and anything you D/L goes into it, then just as Jeremiah said, there usually is read-me file that explains how to put whatever you have D/L into the game. it's usually as easy as drag and drop into whatever folder,or sometimes you get lucky and they provide an installer.

Good luck

Rom

Create a folder on your desktop

When prompted "save" the download into that folder

open the folder

If the file is a compressed zip you will be able to open and extract the contents

A lot of downloads on here need WinRAR to open them so you can get the files out.

Unlike most things you have come across before - you basically need to put the files in exactly the right folders for them to work.

The readme should give instructions - however a lot has changed to the game over the years so if you are not sure look in the knowledgebase on here/ or search old threads for the answer.

When you installed WOE - the first thing you probably want to do is go to thirdwires home page and download the latest patch to bring the version to Oct 2008 if you havnt done so. This is a lot easier - you save the file to your desktop and just double click on the installer.

always Add any patches before adding any mods

Most of the mods on here are done by anybody - and most people hate doing documentation - hence why there is little of it.

Most of the mods can be used in most of the games - although sometimes you will need to manually change ini files etc to get them working

Be aware that WOE is from the first generation of games - we are now on the second generation - and Strike Fighters 2:Europe is the new version of WOE for Vista/Win 7

good luck

OK... Thanks! Which F/A-18 Super Hornet do you recommend downloading.. It's may Favourite plane, so it deserves to be downloaded first.. If i can get it...

Ok.. When i attempt to download to Patch, it says "Wings over Europe is not a valid Directory" Do you know a way to get around this?

Plus, I don't have WinRar, but i have the Trial Version of Alpha Zip,Should i get WinRar?

and EricJ's Super Hornet says it requires another sort of Extractor to open..

Please excuse my Ignorance... :dntknw:

Edited by Warrior108

Guest a10boar
OK... Thanks! Which F/A-18 Super Hornet do you recommend downloading.. It's may Favourite plane, so it deserves to be downloaded first.. If i can get it...

Ok.. When i attempt to download to Patch, it says "Wings over Europe is not a valid Directory" Do you know a way to get around this?

Plus, I don't have WinRar, but i have the Trial Version of Alpha Zip,Should i get WinRar?

C:\ program files\Wings over Europe <-----erase the ThirdWire and the patch will work.

Right click on F-18E folder and press open archive. If you you do not see this, then yes download winRAR and repeat the same process .

Or just use 7zip - it's free and really good!

Half way down this page, http://www.column5.us/miragef.shtml it comes with an installer(so its really easy :ok: ).........and it's still my favourite plane of all time in this game the FA-18A

Enjoy

Rom

Ok... Do i put the files of the files of the Plane in the Games program files? Like the C-130 Engine sound into the "sounds" Folder?

Edited by Warrior108

Guest a10boar
Ok... Do i put the files of the files of the Plane in the Games program files? Like the C-130 Engine sound into the "sounds" Folder?

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=170 this should help. Yes,sounds in sounds,aircraft in aircraft,groundobjects in groundobjects etc etc

Ok, So I think I Got everything from the C-130J into the Proper folders, Now to test it... In "Single Mission" will the name of the Airplane show up with the default aircraft?

NVM, I got it, and Am jumping with Joy! Thank you! :)

Edited by Warrior108

One Last thing (Sorry for Double post...) How do you take-off and land without doing missions.. is there anyway?

You mean like a free flight? - possibly you can create a custom single mission with no other jets in the air but im not sure.

Choose a recon mission and set the air activity to light - theres a very good chance you wont see another jet the entire time you are up anyway if you stick to friendly airspace.

Edited by MigBuster

OK.. Thanks MigBuster, i figured it out.. Now another thing. For some strange reason the LOD files in all my downloads have MS Word Icon's...

Did you find yourself a bug to play with :rolleyes:

Is there anyway to change it back?

Edited by Warrior108

It doesn't matter...it doesn't affect using the sim in anyway.

FC

Is there anyway to change it back?

You have basically associated all LOD files with word - so that word will try to open one when when you click on it - and then fail.

look on the net on how to change it for your windows version

So..... It Doesn't affect the game? Does it prevent the downloads for working? If so, What do i change it back to?

Again.. Please excuse my ignorance... :unsure:

Edited by Warrior108

Nope, doesn't affect the sim or downloading at all. Like MigBuster said, all it does is tell the computer to try to open the LOD file with Microsoft Word if you double click on the file. Since there is almost no reason to try to open a LOD file except for very advanced modding issues, you will never encounter an issue.

FC

OK... Thank you :smile: I was thining maybe that's why my downloads weren't working.. Ok thank you!

OK.. Again, This will sound stupid.. But when I'm armed with AGM-65 maverick missiles, or anything that isn't a Sparrow or Sidewinder, then i can't select it.... Is there some special way?

Plus, How do you Unzip 7z files.....

Edited by Warrior108

To unzip files like 7z you need WinRAR or another program that will do it

you select A-G missiles with a different button - check out your control keys in the settings

Ok.. I have WinRAR, and i tried to Download EricJ's F/A-18F, and i extracted Sound to sounds folder, Effects into effects, and everything where it should go, but it doesn't work... Any advice? Plus, What is the Weapon Editor?

Thanks for your time...

Half way down this page, http://www.column5.us/miragef.shtml it comes with an installer(so its really easy :ok: ).........and it's still my favourite plane of all time in this game the FA-18A

Enjoy

Rom

You didnt take my advice :no: ........... follow the link, D/L the f-18, run the installer (no winrar-no z7), start the game and go fly :good: there are lots of great planes from Column5, this is just one of them..........and it's easy to load up :ok: which is why I suggested it :wink: ..............and it's as good as the other F18s out there