Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Something new in Oz....

Somebody's screenies of Oz Phantoms (both the E & what if J), got me rethinking my Darwin (Modern) map mod. So, I been spending the last week (litererly) major reworking of the target areas, EXTENSIVE retiling, adding bits and bobs from Green Hell ™. It'll work in SF2V with the tweeks outlined somewhere's else around here...

But, back to the subject...

it seems we're missing the Majestic Class CVs ... the Melborne has vanished from our downloads section. So, with a slight reworking/small repainting of Hinch's Bulwark (which iirc, the original mod was of) we have it back.

Also, a surprise "What If..." carrier for the RAN, as it one of them WAS once offered by the USN to Australia.

Our screenies are, HMAS Melborne, HMAS Australia (ex-USS Bunker Hill), and a re-flagged Daring for RAN usage.

Note/Request to Hinch: where on the bmp is the bow section, so I can paint the hull numbers on? That'll allow recreation of all 3 (Voyager, Vendetta, and the other one...we'll just pretend Melborne didn't ram and sink it...)

Unfrtunately, you STILL wont be able to field Phantoms off the Essex (too small of cats), but maybe someone will RAN-ize some Cruds??? :wink:

oh, and that detail shot?? In all the time since Hinch released the Daring, I never noticed it before! Now, THAT'S cool stuff!!!

Now, if I can just figure out how to activate the 4 5 inchers on the Oz (built into the lod) .... she'll be albe to (sorta) defend herself; well, shoot back at least!

wrench

kevin stein

Hey Wrench,

Two things.

I thought Melbourne was still around? It was a creation for Gramps way back when, but I might still have a copy....... somewhere.......... which I could supply (assuming that Gramps wouldn't mind the texture use).

As for the Australian Darings, I can supply you with one, as I made a test vessel with decal placement................ but never released it, 'cos interest in early stuff seems to be falling by the wayside. I should note also that the Australian ensign has a white field................. but that will come with the Australian Daring (assuming I can find it................ it's on the old computer, so I'll have to rummage).

Unfortunately, Melborne's gone to the breakers ... :wink: It's been removed from here, and isnt at the DAT site anymore either. Gramps' page seems to also have vanished.

Last time I saw the Melborne, it was docked with an American nuke boat tied up to it (ok, movie buffs ... what's the reference from??)

Also, I want to keep to 'freeware' items only; which is why I've also removed the references to Liberty Ships, Osas and some others from the targets ini (easily added back in by those that have it ... they'll still be listed in the Types ini)

If you can find the Aussie Darings, that'd be great! If not, I can always change the BluEnsign back to WhtEnsign!! (doncha love hex editors??? :yes: )

I should mention that this is being tested in post-08 patch WoE, which like WoV, HAS the SCB-125 Essexs (Essexi??), the SumnerFRAMs (and the unused on this terrain CV-63s) in the Object Cat. SF/SFG users, well, you're screwed, unless you can import about 30 files, not counting the CV decals (which ain't being used)

SF2V (and by inference, SF2/SF2:E merged installs) shouldn't have any problems, as it's referencing lods and skin bits in the various cats. I'll be testing that later, when the terrain is finished.

Importing my gundata SF2 NextGen has been an issue that I've still to figure out...

wrench

kevin stein

Just change the flag and you should be good.

Here's the approximate placement for the pennant number:

RAN Pennant=0.0000,52.9390,3.9240

Shame about Melbourne.

What can you do.

Well, as long as still got your Bulwark/Albion's to fiddle with....we can 'get it close enough for gaming purposes'

thanks Hinch!!

wrench

kevin stein

Assuming the owners don't mind I can upload the Melbourne if you guys like, made back ups of all the old boats long ago and still have them. As for something to fly from the Essex class, Spinners made a VF-805 F-8E a while back and should still be in the DL's.

Craig

The Melbourne is still in downloads as part of the "Aussie Carrier Campaign" for WOV. It's fun, but the AI doesn't seem to like the angled flight deck. I added it to my Falklands install as a "what-if?" :grin:

Edited by bcyc

HMAS Melborne (and Sydney) is included in the terrain, along some surprises. D/L and see :grin:

wrench

kevin stein