Sign in to follow this  
scouserlad13

I got offered a job by the RAAF

Dont suppose you would know this, but my friend wants to join up but has a nut allergy. Would he be able to join the ADF?

Well... My bestie had this same issue. She has a mild nut allergy, still can't come into contact with them, but won't go into anaphalactic shock if she does (just gets severely irritated). She recently got past the final round of interviews and was pretty much cleared to enter until she got a call about 4 weeks ago saying that she couldn't be admitted to the RAAF at all due to this allergy.

Now she was told initially (after her medical) that so long as she has a management program it shouldn't be an issue, so I don't know why she wasn't accepted. She may have had a conflicting medical condition that it may have interfered with (although I'm pretty sure she didn't), so I'm afraind don't know. I thought it was odd that she was cleared and then denied. If I were your bud, I'd talk to Defence Force Recruitment about it or preferably go to an open night at any near by unit and talk to them personally. They usually hold info nights on Tuesday nights (they do for the Army), but the unit recruiter should know about it as it's their job to know. Calling the national line (131902) will only get you to the DFR call center and they won't necessarily have the info on hand.

Thing is, I know of a dude who serves in the 9th CSSB, RAA in SA who seems to have developed a nut allergy and is still serving. So go figure. :dntknw:

Ahh right ok, well ill pass the word onto him. Cheers

Ahh right ok, well ill pass the word onto him. Cheers

If you want, I could always ask my DFR next time I talk to her, but Army will possibly have different standards or evaluation...

If you want, I could always ask my DFR next time I talk to her, but Army will possibly have different standards or evaluation...

Oh no its ok, he will get in touch with the defense force over the weekend. Thanks anyway :good: