Sign in to follow this  
Womenfly2

Albatros DIII Mayrhofer Fritsch

Sorry my last reply was incomplete:

so agaain:

OvS : let me know what you need, ill try to manage next time a stativ and sounds without wind and pictures

as well. on the last weekend when we did those, it was stormy and horrible during the day, winds up to 30 knots

directly in our tent where it was ... Awful for Koloman and Eberhard to see sandstorm going into the Albatros, but

we tried to protect the Austro Daimler eninge, and at 5 pm the wind calmed and we did what you see on side 1 :-)

You still work on the big birds? I am here with an 2008 Citation XLS, so my work and my hobbie and free time

all about Airplanes.. My poor Wife ;-) Thanks Patricia for your understandness and pation!

No, I've since moved on to the IM department where I fix PC's. As silly as that sounds, I simply had enough of the commercial part of aviation... it's not avaiation, it's a bus depot. I rarely fixed anything... well there was that EL AL 747-100 we did a strut seal change on the port outer bogey... ever see a 747 tipped on it's side.... WOW! :blink: We depressurized the right 2 bogies, so the left outer could be fully extended past the top of the strut rod.... in was nuts. Took us 1.5 days, non-stop. But other than that, it was resetting boxes, circut breakers.. etc. Hence why I am restoring the car... I need to fix things... not reset them.

You guys do aviation! That's what it's all about. :biggrin: Just seeing 3 D.III Fuselages sitting there waiting for completion says a lot about what you guys do. It's a lost art!

As far as the sounds, whatever you have. If you take the video on the front-right side, just where you were standing when you first started the D.III is perfect. Not too close, and not too far. I can get the sound of the prop, the exhaust, and the motor all in one.

Our game is more of a living museum. We try exceptionally hard to get things as close to historic and correct as possible. The sounds are no different. Many of them are the actual recordings of WWI engines. So anything you can record will only add to the historic value of our 'museum'. :wink:

Thanks again for coming to talk to us. I'll have more questions later... :ok:

Hey, any chance you guys might do one of those D.III's as Ritter von Tutschek's all black Jasta 12 mount? I love that plane!

OvS

Was it that plane??

Will ask Koloman if he wants a black rider Albatros,..

one of those 3 Fuselages will be his. one will go to Australia!

Matthias.

59_14.jpg

Was it that plane??

Will ask Koloman if he wants a black rider Albatros,..

one of those 3 Fuselages will be his. one will go to Australia!

Matthias.

59_14.jpg

I'll have to grab a pic of it from my Alb folder I use for skinning models. But it's all black. The tail has black iron cross on the white box, like the original early 1916 type D.II's had. As well as on the underside of the lower wing. The upper wing just has the white banded Iron Crosses as normal.

It looks menacing. :)

A really good Austrian ace would be Godwin Brumowski's 'Death Head' red Oeffag D.III. That's a really nice one too.

OvS

Welcome Matthias. Thanks for the extra background information - everyone here loves the detail. Wonderful to have a hobby that is your work too stay with it and we hope to see many more projects in the future.

The OEFFAG you have there is such a beautiful work of art as well as an aircraft - great to see it even in the part finished stage.

By the way, for our simulator I did start an OEFFAG as a side project needs a lot more conversion work to make it look less like a standard D.III and more details added, but getting there slowly.

The paint/texture is not correct either just happens to be what the DIII was wearing ;) but the extra info and pics will help.

post-7478-1245198107_thumb.jpg

Hello Polovski,

maybe you can PM your email and i will provide you with actual paintings high resolution pics :-)

Matthias!

Welcome Matthias. Thanks for the extra background information - everyone here loves the detail. Wonderful to have a hobby that is your work too stay with it and we hope to see many more projects in the future.

The OEFFAG you have there is such a beautiful work of art as well as an aircraft - great to see it even in the part finished stage.

By the way, for our simulator I did start an OEFFAG as a side project needs a lot more conversion work to make it look less like a standard D.III and more details added, but getting there slowly.

The paint/texture is not correct either just happens to be what the DIII was wearing ;) but the extra info and pics will help.

Hello Polovski,

maybe you can PM your email and i will provide you with actual paintings high resolution pics :-)

Matthias!

Matthias,

So tell me... What's it like to work on these birds? You build them from scratch, I only used to repair Gen Avs (Piper, Cessnas, etc) before I jumped to 747's and the like. The closest thing I can imagine it being like is restoring my '66 Nova, but you guys fabricate everything, I only buy parts and put them on and repair what's broken.

That Mercedes engine build is incredible. Do you machine all the required tooling to fabricate the missing parts ou need? Is it all done in-house?

You have every REAL Aircraft Mechanics dream job! :good:

OvS

Hello Polovski,

Matthias!

Hi Matthias thanks that would be great :)

Cheers

Pol

Hi Matthias thanks that would be great :)

Cheers

Pol

Pol,

If you finish that one, maybe we can sneak it in with some of the extreme southern Jastas? I know it was not used on the western front, but at least to have it in the game until we expand to the eastern front in 2011? LOL!

Yeah good idea OVS, that's what put me off finishing it at first no where to fly it lol and time spent not filling in other much needed craft. But SJ and others would make use of it too so may be worth it.

Great thread. Here is what seems to be the Albatros at the top.

Oeffag D.III Ba.253

Unit: Flik 51J

Serial: 253.24

In 1918. A personal aircraft of Oblt. Franza Rudorfera (11 v.), also used by Zgsf.Eugen Bonsch and Oblt.Benno Fiala-3rd highest scoring Austo-Hungarian ace with 28 victories.

Again very helpful: the great "Wings Palette" website: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/175/175/2

PS: Sorry, in the haste I forgot - welcome here, Mathias!

Please, get us informed, whereever and when this Albatros can be watched flying?

PPS: and here's the Tutschek Albatros - thanks again, Wings Palette!

Edited by Olham

Good morning,

thanks to all for the welcome Olham and all the others.

Yepp ill keep you all up to date about the process of being airworthy with that plane.

Now we have a little delay because Mr. Fritsch (the owner) is going to build

a workshop now at his house for all his Engines and to work on a assembled plane.

I hope to provide you soon also with detailled Cockpit pictures of the OEFFAG Albatros!

Keep on flying

;-)

From Austria

Matthias :ok:

"It was the first testrun of the engine on the complete assembled aircraft.

The engine is an original AUSTRO DAIMLER of 1918, which was found

factory new, with 0 hours!"

Winning the lottery? Finding Lasseter's Lost Reef? (a legendary reef of gold not relocated after the finder passed away after attempting to find it again)...no...

More akin to finding the Holy Grail.

What an astonishing discovery.

Thank you for the video. Please record as cleanly as possible the sound of the engine at varying revolutions for the developers here, and for aviation buffs etc everywhere.

Stunning!

Give me a moment,

just upload a nice cockpit pic, and also pictures from

the transport from Hallstadt (middle in the Alps...) to Vienna

at the Airshow...

Be patient :-)

:haha:

Hmm what about those :

And by the way: the Albatros was a really HUGE Plane... watch us standing beside! 1 Ton of flying history

:clapping:

IMG_1522_Bildgrendern.jpg

IMG_1535_Bildgrendern.jpg

IMG_1542_Bildgrendern.jpg

IMG_1545_Bildgrendern.jpg

me on the wings landing wire´s barrel

IMG_1573_Bildgrendern.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1619_Bildgrendern.jpg

IMG_1627_Bildgrendern.jpg

IMG_1590_Bildgrendern.jpg

IMG_1582_Bildgrendern.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

Edited by yakhiasi

What a phantastic picture show, Mathias! Oh, how I envy you, to get in touch with a real Albatros!

This is so exiting to see - please keep them coming. I'm just absolutely stunned!

How much on the craft is old original stuff, if I may ask?

Edited by Olham

Fantastic pics Matthias thanks for the cockpit shots hard to find pictures of the details.

If you get chance to get some of forward view from the cockpit and cockpit left and right (and when it is more complete) that would be very useful.

Thanks

Mein Gott! Beautiful pictures Matthias! You and your boss are truly craftsman of the highest order! If this plane appeared in OFF I don't think I could bear to shoot it down.

What I find very interesting about the pictures: for the first time we can see a "factory-new" Albatros

plywood surface. We can see, how much the grain is visible, and at which contrast.

Mathias - as a "skinner" I would like to ask you: how is the plywood getting sealed waterproof?

Thanks for these pictures, I've never seen such good ones about Albatrosses! Such a beautiful construction! I love those wooden parts, they really show how these aircraft were made by skillful carpenters and were each much more individual than modern robot-made aircraft with their plastic and metal parts.

It's amazing to think hundreds of such beauties once filled the European skies in various colours and models. Too bad they were made for death and destruction...

I'm looking forward to reading your comments about how that old engine behaves in action, and how close to the original performance you can get. :clapping: