Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Enough to make you weep!

Don't know the story..but what a total gutter!!!

post-22245-1244816413_thumb.jpg

If thats where it actually came to a stop then it was cutting it fine with the tree-line!

Looks like its undercart is still attached......broken back?

Any accident investigators here?

If thats where it actually came to a stop then it was cutting it fine with the tree-line!

Looks like its undercart is still attached......broken back?

Any accident investigators here?

That looks like no more that 25 years of sitting there. Shame. They could have salvaged parts from it and used it for other Camels. Not too smart doing that to an old bird like that. Even if the pilot was killed, that's no way to treat a plane like that.

OvS

Seems to me that a/c is in Oz - can't remember for sure - maybe Hobart?

shred of aged grey matter

I've seen this pic before. IIRC that is a parts plane at one of the museums or restoration facilities in OZ. It reminds of a fellow I know here in Hampton that had a '56 Nomad sitting in his yard. Many people offered him good price for it but he wouldn't sell. One day I went to his brother's house/junk yard next door and I noticed that he had removed the front fenders, hood, etc and left the body itself in the weather. It had already gotten so bad that it was virtually unrestorable. I wanted to kick his a$$ for doing that to such a classic. Stoopid.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

That's a very modern looking color photo. Is this a real WWI Camel, or a broken replica? Any idea of when it was taken?

I cant help but think this one is a replica or "prop" plane ,I saw a Camel some years ago at a W.W.1 themed restaurant from a distance it looked good ,but on closer inspection it was quite rough and made out of everything from fiberglass to roofing tin!

Your Respectfully,

VonTobler

Edited by VONTOBLER

Whats that bit of wood doing attached to the upper left aileron socket?

......the plot thickens!

Edited by jayo

Perhaps it's a film prop?

I've seen this pic before. IIRC that is a parts plane at one of the museums or restoration facilities in OZ. It reminds of a fellow I know here in Hampton that had a '56 Nomad sitting in his yard. Many people offered him good price for it but he wouldn't sell. One day I went to his brother's house/junk yard next door and I noticed that he had removed the front fenders, hood, etc and left the body itself in the weather. It had already gotten so bad that it was virtually unrestorable. I wanted to kick his a$ for doing that to such a classic. Stoopid.

CJ

Tell me about it. It does make me sick. If you don't want to help it back to life, then let it go. There is a guy right around the block from me, and in his driveway there is a 70' Doge Dart (Fastback) no motor, but it's painted in original Mopar orange and has all the original black 340 stripes on it. And another is a 71 'Cuda, in white. They are both sitting there, under tarps, rotting away. The salty, humid Long Island summer air is killing them both... but he won't sell either of them. Jerk. I tried buying the 'Cuda, but he said no. That was 8 years ago... neither of them have moved.

Hence why I bought the Nova.

OvS

It's the old "you want it, I've got it (even though I'm just going to waste it), and you can't have it syndrome. Like I said, stoopid.

I had a friend on a working holiday in Oz maybe 20 years ago, who got himself a job with skip/waste company for a few weeks. One job they had was to clear out an old garage after the proprietor had died. There were authentic Model T engine blocks, fenders, mudguards & all manner of parts just thrown away. My mate tried to argue the stuff was worth money and that some people would want it, but it didn't do any good. It all went for scrap. He hadn't the money to save it himself. My mate was also keen on restoring old motorbikes, he had a Matchless lying in bits at home, so I expect he was thoroughly miserable to see it all happen. - A peculiarly close fitting torture.

Such is life, but I've learned not to judge too quickly.

As a stonemason, it regularly does my head in to see quality stone buildings being left to rot through neglect. Bad enough, but even worse if you see 'monkeys' repairing it on the cheap with cement mortars, - it's tomorrows tragedy happening today. Most of the time, it's not the people who own the place at fault, nor the workmen doing it, (most of whom are not monkeys), but it's often the specification from a so called 'consultant' not doing his job properly. Our stone built environment won't be replaced when it's gone, and the world would be a sorry place without it.

(For your info. a cement based mortar will very often destroy the stone you're trying to maintain and also causes all sorts of weathering & dampness problems. For stone, always use lime mortars & people who know what they're doing.) :good:

Hi Guys,

Shred beat me to it,

I know this site well as its just a short trip down the track from home, the plane itself is a static replica made in the late 70's it has no engine or cockpit detail. infact its a pretty poor model when you see it up close. dont get to upset over it.

regards Rob.

PS Shred, your slipping mate! I'm surprised you didnt mention the Arthur Cobby markings of this plane, thats the sort of detail I'm used to from your ever impressive knowledge of WWI planes.

Edited by Capt. Winters

Good to hear it's nothing special!...But the photo will make a good backdrop for my new CS2 project