Sign in to follow this  
PG_Raptor

Honing Frame Rates

I just downloaded AA2.0 and am in the process of going through training. However, its becoming very difficult to play with the framerates produced by this game. Is there a guide that helps people fit the game to their PC?

btw, my specs:

P4 1.7

348 PC133 SDRAM

Nvidia Vanta 16 Mb

Edited by PG_Raptor

In the game, you can set various graphics functions and their level of intensity. Where do you have yours set?

Ultralow....to....Ultra high

In the game...while training on all offline maps, you can open the console ( ~ ) and type in: stat fps

This will give you the FPS displayed on the screen.

I would first try to set your graphic setting in game where they are adequate enough to give you a good FPS.

After that, I would upgrade to 512 MB of DDR RAM. I know nothing of the video card and can't be of much help their, other then the MIN SPECS do require a 64MB 3D Graphics that support T&L......but a system running a P4 at 1.7Ghz shouldn't have much problem at all running AAO.

There is a list of all the Console Commands here:

http://www.aafiles.com/file.stuff?body=console

<C>

Fates

I think I have everything set to lower, or whichever one is below normal. thanks for the console link. As for the upgrade, yeah, I'll be doign that in August or so. my MB is about maxed out.

so, yeah, I turn on the fps counter... and start the marksman training mission...

I get 5.7 fps with everything on ultra high... and 5.8 with everything on ultra low. 1024x768. I get about a frame or two more with 800x600. Ugh.

I need a new computer, but upgrading isn't even a question till I get off to college.

A P4 1.7 is no laughing matter. What mobo do you have....??

I'm thinkin you can upgrade for under $300....

Get ya a Mobo...some ram...and a diff vid card...and you'll be loving life again..

Is your mobo a socket 423 or 478?

$95

Asus - - P4P8X 865P Chipset 1-8XAGP ATA/100 SERIAL ATA W/ Audio & Gigabit LAN No CPU Details: -Accepts Pentium® 4 (Socket 478) 1700MHz(1.7Ghz)-3000MHz+(3.0Ghz) (5)PCI(1)8XAGP(3)DDR

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p8x/overview.htm

$69

SAMSUNG TECHNOLOGY 512MB PC2700 DDR 64X64

$117

ATI - ONLINE ORDER ONLY - - Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis 256mb DDR 8X AGP (optional 9600 pro 8x agp) Details:-ATI Radeon 9600 256mb DVI+CRT+TVout support 4-pipeline (optional 9600 pro 8x agp)

TOTAL: $281

Not a bad deal....

<C>

Fates

From my own experience, you problem is mostly related with poor graphic card.

CPU is also extremely important but an Petium 1.7 will give you good FPS in any of the older maps. The new SF maps eat alot of resources so more ram is also needed.

Yeah, when I head for college, I'm planning on buying a whole new computer. I think I'll be able to get an AMD 64 bit Processor, at least 512 Mb of PC2700 RAM (maybe even a gig of 3200), and a Radeon 9800 Pro for a little under $800. I should be good. (thank God for scholarships :) )

But as for my current computer, the mobo only allows three slots of PC133 RAM. I've already stole a 128Mb stick from my dad (hehe) to bring me up to 384 Mb. And the AGP slot only allows for a 4x 64Mb card. Not worth upgrading the card for this mobo if I'm just gonna buy one later. I'll wait till I head for college, then buy a super machine, lol.

Edited by PG_Raptor