Sign in to follow this  
Acidrain

Next Step for DICE?

As the Nordic Game Conference in Malmö, Sweden wound down last month, Lars Gustavsson, creative director for Electronic Arts' Stockholm-based DICE studio, took the stage to give a presentation titled "Innovation:

REad on..............

http://outpostgamez.com/news/304/whats-next-for-dice/

This is an interesting article, however i get the feeling that they are going to create an MMO based on the BF franchise? BFHeroes, BF1943 and Mirrors Edge are all test beds for something?

They can try it all they want, but they seem to forget there are only so many MMOs that can succeed out there. Unlike regular games, if you want to play 3 MMOs that means you're paying a good $45/month on top of anything else! I don't know too many people who play more than 2 and the majority stick to 1.

I think if you want to have an MMO, then it has to have a good single player plot. Take Resistance fall of man for example. The first one that is, i didnt really like the 2nd one. Anyway, great single player story line, amazing multiplayer! Up to 40 players in one match! I loved RFOM, it was the first game i got for PS3.

Either way, something is going on or it simply might not be going on at all. However, i could go both ways that i suspect something is going on, on the other hand DICE has dropped the ball when it comes to the FPS arena.

Resistance is no MMO, there aren't any MMOs for consoles.

Generally MMO implies "$$ per month", although Guild Wars didn't charge.

Resistance is no MMO, there aren't any MMOs for consoles.

Generally MMO implies "$ per month", although Guild Wars didn't charge.

Well, perhaps they should try and build something along the lines of that of ARMA, which has large maps and is far more realistic! Perhaps iam just randomly just talking.

The closest thing to that really was Novalogic's Joint Ops. A lot less realistic than OFP/Arma ever was, but up to 150 players and decently large maps. The AI stunk, though, made OFP's look like Terminators.

I would enjoy much larger maps and scenarios, but I refuse to pay per month for any game.

The closest thing to that really was Novalogic's Joint Ops. A lot less realistic than OFP/Arma ever was, but up to 150 players and decently large maps. The AI stunk, though, made OFP's look like Terminators.

I would enjoy much larger maps and scenarios, but I refuse to pay per month for any game.

That is what i like, big fraking maps with alot of people. I think this none sense of 20-60 players is just that LAME! It is fun playing with an bunch of people, i dont like it were you have an small number of people, it might take some time to even find.

Of course, then you can have bandwidth issues, which means extra work on the network code and likely the necessity of a dedicated server on a backbone vs someone's home. Unless, of course, you go the pay route. Joint Ops actually only supported up to 64 players on an average server IIRC, and you needed to pay for access to the 150 player servers. That was fine by me, as I was content with the 64 player ones as I usually just played coop anyway.