Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

One Vs Eleven of Richthofen's finest

A copy of a letter from the Officer In Charge of Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Third Army.

Australia's greatest fighter pilot, Robert Alexander Little, was alone and ATTACKED 11 Albatros Scouts, most probably Richthofen's finest pilots. And outclassed them.

A most remarkable feat. The Sopwith Triplane was a formidable weapon when in the right hands. And R.A Little was one outstanding pilot.

Edited by Steve Drew

A copy of a letter from the Officer In Charge of Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Third Army.

A most remarkable feat.

It is indeed. But I don't see Little's name anywhere in the dispatch.

It is indeed. But I don't see Little's name anywhere in the dispatch.

No you don't. The letter was from an Archie Officer who wasn't aware of who the pilot was. It was sent to Little's C.O. and placed on his file.

The Sopwith Tripe is a pretty formidable aircraft in OFF too. Whilst I can't match the outstanding feat of my avatar, I did manage six in one day.

Good to have you here, Steve. I hope Robert Little is now getting the recognition he deserves in Australia. I have a good friend who comes from Melbourne and is proud, justifiably, of the Australian effort in The Great War but he was saddened and embarrassed to realise he'd never heard of Robert Little. To be fair, he's been in the UK for a dozen years.

I confess though, I was merely browsing for a decent photo of an RNAS pilot when I created my Naval 10 pilot (yes, I know, wrong squadron, sorry) because the ones in OFF lack a little, ah, clarity, and came across Robert Little's studio shot on Wikipaedia. What an inspiration!

I've now added a link to my signature and will do that with any other ace photo I may use. If you've any more information about Robert Little, Steve, I like to see it, he really seemed a great guy.

The Sopwith Tripe is a pretty formidable aircraft in OFF too. Whilst I can't match the outstanding feat of my avatar, I did manage six in one day.

Good to have you here, Steve. I hope Robert Little is now getting the recognition he deserves in Australia. I have a good friend who comes from Melbourne and is proud, justifiably, of the Australian effort in The Great War but he was saddened and embarrassed to realise he'd never heard of Robert Little. To be fair, he's been in the UK for a dozen years.

I confess though, I was merely browsing for a decent photo of an RNAS pilot when I created my Naval 10 pilot (yes, I know, wrong squadron, sorry) because the ones in OFF lack a little, ah, clarity, and came across Robert Little's studio shot on Wikipaedia. What an inspiration!

I've now added a link to my signature and will do that with any other ace photo I may use. If you've any more information about Robert Little, Steve, I like to see it, he really seemed a great guy.

Dej,

I have spent the better part of 20 years collecting snippets of WW1 stuff, and some decades ago decided that I would attempt to write a biography on Robert Alexander Little. This is a most difficult task, as he flew for the British, and there's not much here about him. His relatives aren't pleased at any attempts to write this great man's story either. There is scant information about his pre-war life, and so many anecdotal stories have been invented. This has angered his relatives, and I had no success at all in my pleas to her for at least her blessing if nothing else.

I got a hold of some decades worth of correspondence from her to a Canberra gent who was keen on this project for some time, but dropped it either because it was too hard or because of other commitments.

In my research, I visited Bob "Windy" Gaele, Curator of the Naval Aviation Museum in Nowra, and he dug out his personal folder of Aussies who were in the RNAS during WW1. I sat there and wondered to myself. Some of the other pilots that he had gained information on were of great interest as well. Discussing it a few days later with a friend, I reckoned that a simple few hours in the NSW State Library to gather birth and death details on these few other chaps...and we had a good book in the making.

That was the start of a long journey. From the 80 odd names that Windy gave us, we're now up to some 190. Researching one chap would reveal a few more. And so it goes on. We hope to start writing soon, as the research will never stop. After that...Australians who served in the RFC, the RAF, and finally the big one...Australians who served in the AFC.

I don't know if you have read it, but "Australian Hawk over the Western Front", a biography of Roderic Stanley Dallas is a good read, and written by a mate of mine, Adrian Hellwig. Early on, I sent him all I had on Dallas, and then when I travelled to France, Belgium, and the UK, I passed on pics of Pernes Cemetery (his final resting place) and a copy of his service record from the National Archives in London. After Adrian completed the book he sent me a short email "What have you got on Little?"

I was reluctant to pass on anything, as a biography of Little was what I had been working towards for some time. After reading Adrian's bio of Dallas, I figured that I probably couldn't devote that much time to the project that it deserved, and so I passed it all on to him (Well, I still have a couple more boxes that I need to check to see what treasures lie within, but everything I've found so far has gone his way).

PS. Have a look at the date I joined this forum. Anniversary of the great man's death.

Edited by Steve Drew

This is a most difficult task, as he flew for the British, and there's not much here about him.

I was reluctant to pass on anything, as a biography of Little was what I had been working towards for some time. After reading Adrian's bio of Dallas, I figured that I probably couldn't devote that much time to the project that it deserved, and so I passed it all on to him (Well, I still have a couple more boxes that I need to check to see what treasures lie within, but everything I've found so far has gone his way).

PS. Have a look at the date I joined this forum. Anniversary of the great man's death.

If there's anything I can help dig out in the UK just send me directions. Although I daresay, being a proper historian rather than a 'dabbler' like me you'd have found all you could over here when you visited. Nevertheless, if I can help, I'd be glad to, the man deserves it.

I can't say why his story in particular touched me greatly, but it did - maybe it's a 'clumsy pilot' kindred spirit :biggrin: ... and how did he cope with Camels if castor oil made him ill? Though that particular 'fact' may be one of those anecdotal inventions you mentioned.

As for the letter, was that red Albatross Allmenroeder I wonder? If so, what an unnerving premonition for his later demise at Collishaw's hands (disputedly).

@Duce: Thanks for looking those up, but scanning them I fear there's no more there than is already on the 'net and in the 'Aircraft of the Aces' series.

Guest British_eh

Yes, such feats were not common place, but there were a number of times it happened with pilots such as Voss, and the pilots of the 2 Bristol fighters that took on some dozen or so German aircraft successfully.

While we can tweak many settings in OFF, we can't adjust the number of enemy AI, survive against 3 to 1 odds, or fly away very successfully, to fight another day. In my opinion, it would certainly lend more Realism to OFF P3, if this were the case.

Cheers,

British_eh

Edited by British_eh

Australia's greatest fighter pilot, Robert Alexander Little, was alone and ATTACKED 11 Albatros Scouts, most probably Richthofen's finest pilots. And outclassed them.

A most remarkable feat. The Sopwith Triplane was a formidable weapon when in the right hands. And R.A Little was one outstanding pilot.

Thanks Steve this doc is useful to us in so many ways!

Best

WM

Thanks Steve this doc is useful to us in so many ways!

Best

WM

Winder,

My pleasure. Always glad to help out where I can. Need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. You guys have provided me with a whole heap of entertainment, it's the least I can do to repay you. I particularly like how he provoked them into a fight, and then allowed the fight to drift towards friendly Archie.

Dej,

I'm afraid after I was forced ...err...coerced.. by my brother to chase up our family in Lowestoft, and then covering requests of all my fellow aviation enthusiasts for their little projects (one of which was investigating why Little or Dallas weren't nominated for a VC, and if they were, why it was declined...but that file is still closed), I barely had time to copy as many of the RNAS Officer's Service Records as I could at the PRO.

I have asked a few times for one of Little's log books from the Fleet Air Arm Museum (my friend Mike Westrop was chasing this for me before he suffered a near fatal stroke), now they tell me that they are not handling ANY requests for information as they are preparing for some big event, and are unable to comply.

Some VERY interesting snippets from Little's Service Record...

As a pilot he is variable, usually flying well & plucky, but occasionally is very erratic. Hasa trick of landing outside the Aerodrome. Has done about 19 hrs flying on MF, CurtissBleriot, Bristol & Caudron machines. As anOfficer he is not very good, & has a badmanner. Is generally fairly satisfactory; & not good at theoretical work. Recommend him for seaplanes.As an Officer he is quite hopeless & likelyto remain so. As a pilot he displays considerable courage & keenness, althoughsomewhat lacking in skill. Apparently he would prefer to fly land machines. I think hecould be made use of as an aeroplane pilotat Dunkerque, or some other front. I do notthink it would be of any advantage for thisStation for him to remain here.This Officer has been reported on unfavour-ably, & he is to be informed that if a furtheradverse report is received, his Commissionwill be terminated. You are to forward areport as to his progress and ability on 8th June 1916.

Sorry about the format gents. I couldn't fix the way that turned out. Of course, it is typed by me and placed on a blank Service Record form I created in Excel. Interesting to see that even the best of them can have an unauspicious beginning. The comments are from various Commanding Officer's Confidential reports.

I'd appreciate it if that snippet does not get published or posted anywhere else...let's just keep it between us for the time being, huh?

I have asked a few times for one of Little's log books from the Fleet Air Arm Museum (my friend Mike Westrop was chasing this for me before he suffered a near fatal stroke), now they tell me that they are not handling ANY requests for information as they are preparing for some big event, and are unable to comply.

100 years of Royal Navy flying this year... that'll be their big event I'd wager, FN100. I'm not too far from Yeovilton, 'bout a couple of hours, so I could go over of a weekend if I can be of any help when the fuss dies down later this year. My son's at Uni over that way too, so I head West (in the non-terminal sense) quite often.

Edited by Dej

I'm glad you clarified that one. "Heading West" CAN be permanent for some poor chaps.

Yes, that's the "big show" they were talking about.

Mike Westrop (who I only just noticed is in the credits for OFF - probably for his fine work with Sopwiths or Naval Squadrons) was keeping in contact with the previous "caretaker" of one of Little's log books, but when I last contacted Mike he passed on the sad news that he had suffered a near-fatal stroke and was immensely debilitated nowadays, and also that the caretaker had "gone West" in the terminal sense and his family handed over all his memorabilia and research to the FAA Museum. I couldn't ask Mike to chase it up any further, but the FAA tell me that all requests, whilst being "shelved", have been placed on hold, and they will contact me.