Sign in to follow this  
Tuba2

Other uses and TrackIR 4 vs. TrackIR 5

:dntknw: I am interested in getting the TrackIR system and am interested in any other uses that my wife could use it for. Would it allow her to control the mouse pointer or other computer devices? I think it would be much easier to justify the money spent if there was some uses for her in addition to my flight sims.

Secondly, other than the wider area for the camera view, would I be missing out on that much getting the TrackIR 4?

Hi Tuba,

I get your point but I think it is a bit of a stretch to try to justify TrackIR for non-game applications. There is a "mouse control" utility that comes with it but I have never tried it or know of anyone who has. I suppose you could work with it and get it replace the mouse to some extent but I'm not sure of the value there. Sorry.

As for TIR4 vs TIR5, it's the resolution that is THE difference between the two and not so much the wider field of view (though that comes with the territory). You are going to get (and instantly notice) much smoother and responsive movement out of the TIR5 that you cannot get from TIR4. Now, you can tweak the TIR4 and get it to behave more responsively than how it comes out of the box but it's pretty tricky and takes a bit of work. The TIR5 on the other hand will work pretty much with the default profile what you would never be able to achieve with TIR4. That's not to say TIR4 is bad it's sort of the difference between a Pentium processor and a dual-core. Better and faster technology. Personally I think it's worth the extra $30-$40 or whatever. Others may not agree but being as the viewing system is the most important aspect (IMHO) of this game, I would not want to skimp there.

You are going to get people telling you TIR4 is great and that's all you need. They are right, it is great (compared to hat switches and padlock views, etc.) but I would bet money that they have never tried TIR5 and if they did, they would tone down the rhetoric a bit. Sorry, I don't mean to come across as some sort of fanboy for TIR but I did LOTS of research before replacing my TIR4 with a TIR5 and felt very foolish for doing so until I got it installed and tried it for the first time.

Just my thoughts of course. You know what they say about opinions. :wink:

Best of luck with your decision. Getting any sort of TIR is a good decision so weigh your options and trust you will do what's best for you.

Hope I've helped a little.

-mark

:dntknw: I am interested in getting the TrackIR system and am interested in any other uses that my wife could use it for. Would it allow her to control the mouse pointer or other computer devices? I think it would be much easier to justify the money spent if there was some uses for her in addition to my flight sims.

Secondly, other than the wider area for the camera view, would I be missing out on that much getting the TrackIR 4?

Unfortunately the mouse emulation application is only designed to be used within an application that is using the the DirectX input, so it will not work on the system desktop