Sign in to follow this  
Tailspin

Object hit sound mod

I've been playing around with a little sound mod to change the sound effect when your A/C is hit by enemy MG fire. I personally don't think the richochet "ping" is very realistic where wood and canvas are involved. In fact IRL you probably couldn't hear anything when hit by a bullet. So one option is to eliminate the sound effect altogether. The other is to change the sound to more of a "thump". To do either you need to extract a couple of files. One is the Soundlist.ini (FlightData.cat) the other is the BulletObject.ini (ObjectData.cat). First to eliminate the sound entirely, open the BulletObject.ini, find the section on LmgEffects and remove ObjectHt from the line ObjectHitSoundName= .

[LmgEffects]

TracerEmitterName=TracerSmokeEmitter

GroundHitEffectName=LmgGroundHitEffect

GroundHitSoundName=DirtHit

WaterHitEffectName=CannonWaterHitEffect

WaterHitSoundName=

ObjectHitEffectName=LmgObjectHitEffect

ObjectHitSoundName= <-----Here

ArmorHitEffectName=LmgObjectHitEffect

ArmorHitSoundName=

AirBurstEffectName=

AirBurstSoundName=

Now you should have no hit sound at all.

If you like some sort of audio indication you are being hit then try this. Open the Soundlist.ini and edit the following.

[Cannon]

Priority=NORMAL

Looped=TRUE <----Change to FALSE

NumBuffers=4

3DSound=TRUE

DopplerEffect=TRUE

MaxDist=500.000000

MinDist=100.00000

InsideConeAngle=360

OutsideConeAngle=360

ConeOutsideVolume=100

This Cannon sound file is actually a rapid fire cannon sound left over from the jet sims. AFAIK its not used for anything else in the sim. "Unlooped" it becomes a very short "thump-like" sound and it only occurs once per "hit". You'll notice I've also increased the MinDist= to 100. This seems to increase the volume of the effect. Anyway decreasing it definately seems to decrease the volume. This effect is kind of subtle amid all the other noise but I kind of like it.

Next step is to open the BulletObject.ini and change the following:

[LmgEffects]

TracerEmitterName=TracerSmokeEmitter

GroundHitEffectName=LmgGroundHitEffect

GroundHitSoundName=DirtHit

WaterHitEffectName=CannonWaterHitEffect

WaterHitSoundName=

ObjectHitEffectName=LmgObjectHitEffect

ObjectHitSoundName=ObjectHit <----Change this line to Cannon

ArmorHitEffectName=LmgObjectHitEffect

ArmorHitSoundName=

AirBurstEffectName=

AirBurstSoundName=

This mod does not change any visual effects and seems to work fine with aftermarket effect enhancements like Stary's. If you don't like it, you can simply change the files back to their original entries.

I subscribe to the camp, more is better, and too much is just right. I've never thought about that 'hit' sound much, thanks for bringing it to my attention, but now I'm thinking I'll find and lift that 'Hollywood Western' 30-30 ricochet sound when I fly SPADs for the U.S. :biggrin:

Happy 4th!!!

Well I just enjoy tinkering around with this sim. I remembered some pilot accounts from the Battle of Britain (different era but still relevant perhaps) of them landing after a patrol and finding bullet holes in their planes. Often they had no idea they were being shot at or even, occasionally, that there were any enemy planes around. :blink:

My Wife's Grandfather flew in WW1. He started on FE2B's on 25Sqn and later Camels.

He told my wife that often you found holes in your machine when you had no idea you had been a target! :blink:

He also said on occasion you knew you had been hit! especially if a bullet hit the taut fabric anywhere near the pilot. He said it sounded like the noise you make when you puncture the foil seal on a jar of coffee by punching a teaspoon through it!!!

He said the engine drowned out most sounds but somethings you still could hear. He thought it may have something to do with the pitch of the noise rather than it's volume.