Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Damage model question

I have not spent alot of time examining the file structure of OFF so forgive me if this is a stupid question,

I have been using the Intermediate Damage model (for campaigns) but, if I have understood the posts here correctly, just went back to the original DM so I could install the new "mini-patch".

I see there is a new Intermediate Damage model (2.0) for quick combat but, since I focus on campaign play, I will wait for the campaign version.

Question: Why does OFF (CFS3) have different damage models (campaign and quick combat) for the same A/C?

And why would a DM made for quick combat not work in the campaign mode?

They have to edit the file for each plane indivdually. So, seeing as how there are less planes in quick combat (for each aircraft type, there is only one quick combat plane)

When you get into campagn, you have your ac1, ac2, ac3, ac4 etc etc for each plane, as well as sq1, sq2 etc etc...so its really alot of files that have to be modified..

They have to edit the file for each plane indivdually. So, seeing as how there are less planes in quick combat (for each aircraft type, there is only one quick combat plane)

When you get into campagn, you have your ac1, ac2, ac3, ac4 etc etc for each plane, as well as sq1, sq2 etc etc...so its really alot of files that have to be modified..

So the actual DM is not different its "just" a file naming thing?

Yes, the DM for each aircraft type (Camel, Be2, D VII, etc.) currently is the same. However, each aircraft type has its own DM.

Additionally, I am contemplating a modification to my IDM to allow for slightly different DMs among aircraft of one aircraft type in order to represent differences in terms of age, workmanship, battle-damage, and repair quality. In essence, an Alb III assigned the AC1 file as described by Sitting Duck might have a slightly different DM than the same Alb model assigned AC2 or SQ4, and so on.

It looks to be a rainy weekend here so....

Is it as "simple" as taking the, for example, the ALB DIII QC DM file and renaming it multiple times for all the different ALB DIII permutations in campaign mode?

If so does someone have a list of the various same A/C - different name DM files combos?

Well, let's see...

First, there are two "official" DMs by OBD. The hardcore DM and the normal DM. Personally, I prefer the hardcore DM over the normal DM. You can pick up either of these DMs at the OBD website.

Secondly, there are the alternative DMs that I have created. Intermediate DM 1.6 is currently the most up to date for the campaign. However, I should have a new campaign DM with enhanced damage effects ready soon. Version 2.0 of the IDM with enhanced damage effects is available now, but it is for QC ONLY.

Finally, I believe that Fortiesboy is also working on an alternative DM. However, I don't think his is quite ready yet.

Well, let's see...

First, there are two "official" DMs by OBD. The hardcore DM and the normal DM. Personally, I prefer the hardcore DM over the normal DM. You can pick up either of these DMs at the OBD website.

Secondly, there are the alternative DMs that I have created. Intermediate DM 1.6 is currently the most up to date for the campaign. However, I should have a new campaign DM with enhanced damage effects ready soon. Version 2.0 of the IDM with enhanced damage effects is available now, but it is for QC ONLY.

Finally, I believe that Fortiesboy is also working on an alternative DM. However, I don't think his is quite ready yet.

Essentially, this is it in a nutshell. However, my DM, using the Devs hardcore DM, has been submitted to the Devs in the hope that it will be offered as a download, to install in the same manner as the two "official" ( Normal and Hardcore ) DMs which are already available from the OFF website.

To clarify, for DukeIronHand and others-

Each aircraft has a file for use in QC and another ( more than one, actually ) for use in Campaign. - So, e. g. if you flew a Camel in QC it would use the QC file,- in campaign it would use another file.

In the Normal and Hardcore DMs as issued by the Devs, the damage the plane incurs, and which you see as visible damage, all happen the same whether you are in QC or in Campaign.

The same critieria will apply in Prop Wasches intermediate DM and in my DM.

AS you know, there is a difference in the Normal and Hardcore DM as issued by the devs. The difference is when the damage occurs- i.e after how many hits you make on the enemy plane.

Using "pretend" figures to illustrate, ( simplified ) - If you put 20 bullets into the wing of the Normal DM you will get more damage than if you put 20 bullets into the wing of the hardcore DM.

However, in both, sometimes the plane goes down without you "seeing" the damage i.e the wing coming off or smashed etc.

In Prop Wasches DM the damage happens with less bullets than hardcore but uses more bullets than Normal. And sometimes you "see" more damage.

In my DM the damage happens the same as the Hardcore, but you "see" it manifested much more.

How, and when (indeed, whether ) , these further two DMs ( PW's and mine ) becomes available for download, is in the hands of Winder and Pol- two very busy gentlemen.

HTH

FB,

If Pol and company are unable to make your mod available for download, I would be willing to help you out with the necessary instructions or help so you can make your mod available as a zip file like my IDM.