Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Random enemys in campaign?

Hi all

Just a small question about campaigns: Has anyone ever seen enemy planes NOT related directly to your mission? So, if you are flying intercept, of course you will see enemy planes, but does the campaign engine also spawn "random" enemy flights doing their own thing over your sektor?

From my - limited - playtime, it seems as if there's always just one enemy flight per mission, and that's the one specifically hunting for me. It would be nice if there was a random chance to "run into" enemy aircraft doing their own mission.

OTOH, I saw a flight of friendly RFC around attacking a ground target, so maybe the campaign does generate random activity?

Yes, there are other missions going on. You can use the F6 key to look around for other aircraft.

Thanks again for the fast reply, you guys are a most helpful bunch.

Could it be that this doesn't happen for single missions? Because so far - mostly playing single missions - I've never meet an enemy flight when I wasn't suspecting one. The main question for me is if it's worth to "hand-fly" the distance to target and back - which is pretty cool but can become repetitive - if there's a chance to run into enemy, it's definitly worth it.

Thanks again for the fast reply, you guys are a most helpful bunch.

Could it be that this doesn't happen for single missions? Because so far - mostly playing single missions - I've never meet an enemy flight when I wasn't suspecting one. The main question for me is if it's worth to "hand-fly" the distance to target and back - which is pretty cool but can become repetitive - if there's a chance to run into enemy, it's definitly worth it.

I have actually come across unexpected aircraft. Once when return to the Allied lines after and Offensive patrol I came across some Rolands returning from a mission. But I agree you only see them if you fly the route rather that warp. If timesx presing put on auto pilot and increase time compression. Keep the map open and you will see enemy machines when they appear.

Well...

I flew about 8 or 9 campaign missions today, and it seems you never see unexpected enemies on the way to target. Over the front it does get a bit crowded, which is nice. Also clearly different campaigns have different amount of enemy activity, which is of course realistic.

Now I disabled map icons, yet every approaching enemy is clearly visible by the cloud of triple AAA around them. Would be nice if that could be reduced.

Actually the cloud of AAA IS realistic according to every historic account I've read. That is how pilots spotted distant aircraft beyond visible range. Black smoke is German, white is British/French. I like to fly without target boxes OR peaking at the map... Try it out!

Oh yeah. I agree with B Bandy. Losing the targeting aids changes the game entirely. There are several things you can do to improve gameplay. Think outside the box. Whether you fly the whole mission in real time or use time acclelerate, fly the last leg all the way in to the IP or at least leave yourself enough real time before the IP to scan the sky and try and find the ememy as far away from the target as you can. I use the mouse look to scan and zoom to "focus" on a certain area for this. Thats the way TK designed it to be used. IF you can spot the enemy this way it is often 2 or 3 times distance (thus warining) the 2.0 nm the target boxes give you. This way you get to set up your attack or plan your defense better. As its hard to fly and watch at the same time the enemy is also easy to lose sight of and sometimes difficult to find again. Especially if you are above them. Camouflage can be very effective at longer distances. Playing like this adds a certain unpredictability to the sim. You are not always guaranteed you will see the enemy...especially with cloud cover. After a while you'll be wishing there was more AAA. :wink: If you like to "warp" (like I do), before you take off go to the planning map and drag the IP (you will warp to the IP) further away from the target area. When you hold your mouse pointer over a waypoint it will show the ETA so you can drag the IP and give yourself several more minutes to the target area to set up. I guess what I'm saying is if you let the sim "fly you" all the time with all the cheats on it can seem rather simple and predictable. The player can do a lot of things to change that. :yes:

Edited by Tailspin