I am considering wiping out my current WinXP 64 OS and replacing it with Win7. Given what I have/want (listed below), would this be a wise move?

Currently have:

- SFG

- WoE

- WoI

- Korean and Falkland install based on SFG

I want to have:

- SF2, SF2:V, SF2:E (with the new whizbang .dll everybody's talking about)

- WoV (with CA_Stary's Green Hell 2 and Orsin's recent tweaks)

- WoE (various ww2 installs - apparently need the 06 patch only?)

If the Gen2 sims aren't significantly better (Graphic/FPS) than the upgraded/modded Gen1 sims, I might stay with my current setup. If the Gen1 sims don't run well on Win7 - I'll definitely stay with WinXP.

But I hear so many good things about Win7, I wonder if it would be smart to upgrade now before I add any more thirdwire sims to my machine. Does anybody have any thoughts or opinions about this?

Look for my thread on the performance of SF2 on Win7, Vista, and XP.

The short version is...if I had the choice between Vista and 7, 7 wins hands down.

Between XP and 7, it's more of a tossup...however, the performance gains with the enbseries mod will ONLY work on Win7/Vista, it does not appear to work on XP at all.

FC

Hey Kowalski - thanks for the reply. I've looked for this thread that compares them all, but I'm not finding it. I've seen threads that make it clear that Vista is not in the running at all, but not one comparing all three.

It's obvious to me that Win7 is very very good for running the second gen sims. But would it Win7 run the Gen1 sims equally as well as XP? If it does, then I think I might convert to Win7 and get the eventual conversion over with. What do you think?

I think with the October '08 patch gen 1 are supposed to run fine, but gen 2 is the way to go as all the modders are moving over.

I just got my new hardware in the mail, so I'm installing it all and downloading 7 tomorrow.

I had WoE and SFG set up on a Vista machine, and last week the whole thing stopped working. It just kept sending my PC into a tailspin to the point even ctrl+alt+delete made things worse!

I tried a new clean install and the same thing kept happening so I downloaded the second generation of WoE and now it works fine, hopefully it'll stay that way. I would stay with XP for now if I were you. :yes:

Edited by Planejunky

I have both Gen1 and Gen2 TW sims working just fine.

System is a P4EE Shuttle with Win7.

I am considering wiping out my current WinXP 64 OS and replacing it with Win7. Given what I have/want (listed below), would this be a wise move?

Having used both fairly extensively, I think you will be happier with 7. IMO of course.