Sign in to follow this  
eburger68

Green Hell 2 & SF2V: Three Questions

Hi All:

Three questions for the terrain gurus regarding Green Hell 2 in SF2V:

First, is it recommended to use the "Black VietnamSEA Repainted HM BMPs" by Wrench with Green Hell 2 in SF2V, or are they unnecessary? That package is from here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=9206

Second, I'm assuming that Green Hell 2 was built on the WoV August 2006 version of the VietnamSEA terrain. That version uses a VietnamSEA.HFD that is the exact same size as the SF2V version (8,000,016 bytes), but a binary comparison I made of the two file versions reveals that they are actually very different. What the nature of those differences is, I do not know.

The question: is it safe to simply let an SF2V install of Green Hell 2 use the SF2V version of the HFD file or would it be safer to use the WoV version? (FWIW, I'm currently using the WoV version in my SF2V install and it is rock solid with no issues).

Third, regarding Effect Shaders VietnamSEA_DATA.INI -- one of the SF2V .CATs includes DX9 specific versions of three effect shaders:

TerTerrainEffectDX9.FX

TerWaterEffectDX9.FX

TerFarTerrainEffectDX9.FX

When running SF2V on a WinXP SP3 system with the latest DX9 version, is it recommended to specify these DX9-specific shaders in lieu of the default shaders -- e.g.

EffectShaderName=terTerrainEffectDX9.FX

...or does the terrain engine determine which version is appropriate for the system if one simply specifies the default?

EffectShaderName=terTerrainEffect.fx

Thanks,

Eric L. Howes

Edited by eburger68

First, is it recommended to use the "Black VietnamSEA Repainted HM BMPs" by Wrench with Green Hell 2 in SF2V, or are they unnecessary?

Honestly I don't know I don't use it and didn't notice issues, but I don't fly over it much lately...

Second, I'm assuming that Green Hell 2 was built on the WoV August 2006 version of the VietnamSEA terrain. That version uses a VietnamSEA.HFD that is the exact same size as the SF2V version (8,000,016 bytes), but a binary comparison I made of the two file versions reveals that they are actually very different. What the nature of those differences is, I do not know.

The question: is it safe to simply let an SF2V install of Green Hell 2 use the SF2V version of the HFD file or would it be safer to use the WoV version?

It's safe to use either, my HFD had some tile corrections off the original one, I don't know if those were fixed in SF2V...

And third, you don't have to adjust shader names :no:

Brain32:

Thanks. You wrote:

It's safe to use either, my HFD had some tile corrections off the original one, I don't know if those were fixed in SF2V...

You've got a custom HFD for the VietnamSEA terrain? I'm not finding it in your VietnamSEA Tile Repaint package. There's a TFD file in there, but no HFD. And no HFD in Green Hell 2 either.

Eric L. Howes

Edited by eburger68

And third, you don't have to adjust shader names :no:

Yes you do. I've already tried getting away with not doing so on several older terrainsets, that I ported over to SF2, and the shaders were a no-show, every time. You need to use the new naming convention.

You've got a custom HFD for the VietnamSEA terrain? I'm not finding it in your VietnamSEA Tile Repaint package. There's a TFD file in there, but no HFD. And no HFD in Green Hell 2 either.

Oooops sorry I've meant TFD, or tile map data...as for HFD I recommend using the new one then :good:

Yes you do. I've already tried getting away with not doing so on several older terrainsets, that I ported over to SF2, and the shaders were a no-show, every time. You need to use the new naming convention.

Yes you are right about that but check the question:

EffectShaderName=terTerrainEffectDX9.FX

...or does the terrain engine determine which version is appropriate for the system if one simply specifies the default?

EffectShaderName=terTerrainEffect.fx

Both are new naming convention :wink: