Sign in to follow this  
tnewman72

PROBLEMS WITH LATEST PATCH ON VISTA 64

Hi All,

First off, i love this addon/mod/whatever you want to refer to it as...BUT....

i d/l'd the super patch and hot fix and although i had some crashes before, now ive got them ALOT.

I use MS SW FF2 but that isnt a problem in other games..only this.

After about 20 minutes or so, missions (quick flight) stop and i notice that the PC is trying to find the CD. It then goes back to the mission setup page.

After that point, it happens almost everytime i enter a quickflight (i dont do missions), after about 30 seconds. Restarting the game doesnt fix it. Rebooting seems to.

The joystick doesnt "freeze" like it used to for CFS3 vanilla.

The other issue is that sometimes the gameplay is superfast...i.e. i go in there and it runs about 3 times quicker than usual...almost like its on fast forward. I checked to make sure it wasnt me accidentally hitting the time accelerate key..and it wasnt.

The thing is that ive noticed this several times now. I restart the mission and its back to normal.

i have a dual core AMD X2 6000+ CPU, twin NV 9800GT 1GB cards in SLI and 4gb RAM, running vista 64 bit SP2 with latest patches.

can anyone perhaps assist if they can?

Would love to play this for more than 20 minutes...

Tim

Please see the FAQ for troubleshooting, something is cooking likely, and yes OFF will cook CPU etc more than some games.

Q25. When I fly after a certain time the game exits or crashes, or when I press M for MAP in flight.

its not heat.

i'm certain of that.

never had a problem before with OFF (other than the SW crashes) nor with any other game. been a flight simmer for 25 years now.

thats why i posted here as i noticed that others were posting the same issue.

any other ideas?

Edited by tnewman72

Twin 9800's is a lot of heat being generated in that case. It is August last I Looked . . :biggrin:

I'd try openning your side, covering with a plastic mesh if you have cats, dogs, or infants in the house

And pointing a window fan right at it.

Won't eliminate the possible overheat, but it will pinpoint it

august here is winter...

Tim,

Many people say it's not heat, but most of the time in OFF support cases so far, it is. May not be here, of course, but at least we have to check into that.

If other games are fine then means nothing. OFF stretches your CPU a lot, and memory, and GPU memory. If there is anything that will find it out, OFF will.

I have been doing PC tech support at one level or another for around 17 years, and flight simming for 25 too so I think we all know one or two things ;).

Recently I too had crashes in OFF never had them before, couldn't work it out.. opened my well ventilated case, found my 8GB of super duper amazing super cooled OCZ RAM with heat pipes.... melted the heatpipes off !!! Yep the cooler was 45 degrees angled to the memory. Nice.

The weren't even overclocked.. so much for paying extra for the "good" stuff.

So never say never is my motto.

What sliders are you set to?

Did you read through the FAQ Q.25 and try anything at all of those 7 things to try?

First thing I'd try is running cfs3config and reset to default? Then put your slider settings back in.

Did you install any other software recently? Any other new drivers?

It could also be the craft you are flying is different to the norm, the location, the date, with different events happening, anything really. Could be drive corruption (did you do a Scandisk?)

By the way no need to PM me to visit the thread, I visit often, but it is 12.30 am here so wanted a break :)

Hi P,

thanks for the reply. The reason i dont think it's heat is that when the crash occurs, without fail it, for some reason, fires up my DVD drive. If it were heat then this correlation wouldnt be occurring- at least not every time.

I am getting 80-85 fps in most scenarios, and am working well within the range of my graphics card and the PC, as i like a smooth game, so i have texture shading off, scenery detail to minimum, no clouds and so on..to maximise the image quality of the aircraft and smoothness of gameplay when there's a gaggle of aircraft in the air.

it plays flawlessly in fact..not counting this annoying issue.

i havent installed anything recently either..just the superpatch. it didnt have any issues prior to this patch in fact.

what i may do is disconnect the DVD ROM as its an external type and see how that goes.

ill check out the FAQ also.

PS the VCard settings are all pretty low also..like 4xAA and 16xAF and pretty much everything else is minimal. I do have vsynch off also.

ill reset cfsconfig etc and run some tests...i am writing this as a result of another crash to mission screen. thats another reason why i dont think its heat, as usually that would CTD or halt my PC altogether..which it doesnt.

anywhoo, maybe i will eat humble pie and find out that it is heat....but that'd be a tough lesson for me...still, you never know.

thanks again,

tim

ok ive measured my CPU and GPU temps.

CPU is 29C. GPU one is 39C and GPU 2 is 53C.

they are all well within reasonable running temps...very cool in fact.

im going to update my g card drivers next...and try the reset cfs3 config.

ps i removed my DVD ROM and the issue still occurred.

no joy testing all the mentioned options. still ceases to play...i thought that it was ok for a bit there as i was playing under different resolutions and 88C AA...but eventually it crapped out on me.

all the temps are good...

80fps wow Also not sure all those options off actually work properly, never tried with those turned off. What temp is GPU2 during the game? Seems to be a lot higher than GPU1. If CFS3 barfs it could do anything like quit (usually)or look for a file it thinks it needs (occasionally).

If it starts up the DVD maybe it's looking for a file, did you mod it at all - add new aircraft, files, textures etc? Did you run Scandisk? Have you tried other pilots, flying different craft in a different squad?

if you had P2 or old CFS3 install maybe do a clean add/remove programs uninstall and reinstall. Otherwise email us on support with your order details and we'll try to help.

ok will do. btw to get 80fps i turned off the shading of ground objects and set the scenery detail to minimum, as well as turned off clouds and weather.

the GPU doesnt go above 53C in game, and yes it is higher than GPU1 which sits at about 40C. i have no mods or anything at all...

before i do a reinstall i think ill try a new nvidia driver for good measure...

and maybe reinstall DX while im at it.

thanks so far P.

uncleal..yep, i reckon thats a good idea..i have the Saitek and a thrustmaster i can try instead..

How about another shot in the Dark. Disconnect that Sidewinder II FFB stick, installing anything with a USB ( never heard of running OFF on keyboard )

The MS FFB II is plug and play, using Window's Drivers. Unless of course you discovered a way to install it's program

If that turns out to be the solution, I'd recommend the Saitek EVO Force

i think that the MS SW FF is the problem. i played last night with the thrustmaster and it didnt hang even once...maybe coincidence, but i didnt change anything else..fingers crossed.

As another option to consider, it could be your power supply. Video cards working harder draw more power. Maybe you were on the edge before and you're over it now with a few more details to render. Just a thought.

I'd try with one card out, and see if the problem persists.

As another option to consider, it could be your power supply. Video cards working harder draw more power. Maybe you were on the edge before and you're over it now with a few more details to render. Just a thought.

I'd try with one card out, and see if the problem persists.

nope..like i said ive been simming for years now...my PS is brand new 1200W antech unit..thats a real 1200W, not RMS.