Sign in to follow this  
Hasse Wind

Flak and spotting aircraft

As probably everybody here knows, in the real Great War exploding AA shells could be used to see where enemy aircraft were operating. This has always been possible in OFF to some extent, but until the superpatch came it never felt so realistic to me as it does now. I finished one patrol mission a few minutes ago and as usual, wasn't using TAC or labels, which makes it a lot more challenging to spot aircraft, friendly or enemy. In my current career I'm flying near the North Sea coast (MFJ I, early 1917) and during the winter months the weather can be really terrible up there with plenty of thick clouds and rain and snow almost every day. Under these conditions, spotting enemy aircraft can be really difficult (but on the other hand, the AI won't spot the player as easily either.)

In the mission I just had I was able to locate and attack a flight of Fees (sorry Bullethead, but c'est la guerre!) by flying toward friendly flak explosions. With this latest patch, I feel OFF has become even more realistic than it was before. I recommend everybody to try some missions without labels and TAC and see for themselves how cool and useful this new improved AA fire is. :good:

Yes, it feels so real now, I am quite tense through flights over the lines.

But why do you fly in that bad wheather, Hasse Wind?

I have now four good pilots, all flying in May or June 1917 - I had enough of the rainy grey.

And it feels wonderful!

I have now four good pilots, all flying in May or June 1917 - I had enough of the rainy grey.

And it feels wonderful!

I'm sure it will feel even more wonderful if I manage to survive through the long winter and see the coming of the spring. I'm almost in February now...

Spotting aircraft against the blue sky is indeed a lot easier than struggling with the North Sea cloud formations.

As probably everybody here knows, in the real Great War exploding AA shells could be used to see where enemy aircraft were operating. This has always been possible in OFF to some extent, but until the superpatch came it never felt so realistic to me as it does now. I finished one patrol mission a few minutes ago and as usual, wasn't using TAC or labels, which makes it a lot more challenging to spot aircraft, friendly or enemy. In my current career I'm flying near the North Sea coast (MFJ I, early 1917) and during the winter months the weather can be really terrible up there with plenty of thick clouds and rain and snow almost every day. Under these conditions, spotting enemy aircraft can be really difficult (but on the other hand, the AI won't spot the player as easily either.)

In the mission I just had I was able to locate and attack a flight of Fees (sorry Bullethead, but c'est la guerre!) by flying toward friendly flak explosions. With this latest patch, I feel OFF has become even more realistic than it was before. I recommend everybody to try some missions without labels and TAC and see for themselves how cool and useful this new improved AA fire is. :good:

Yes AA/flak visibility range has been increased in 1.32

HTH

WM