Sign in to follow this  
Fliegenhund

FE2b tough opponent!

My newest pilot is flying for J11 in 3/1917. I had my first fight against these FE2b's and man are they tough! I put tons of rounds into two that I was circling with and they kept on flying. To make matters worse, that rear gunner was peppering my plane ever chance he got. I managed to shoot both down but crash landed in no mans land, was captured, but escaped after 20 days! Guess I better try to hit these from underneath, but the way they turn its like fighting a tripe!

Sounds like they improved their behaviour? Has Bullethead's nudging had success?

Yes, best way to approach them is from underneath. I fly right under the last craft,

and then pull up steep to fire into her belly. I drop the nose again, before I get into

the reach of the gunner, and repeat the proceedure.

But they had so far always been rather stubbornly following their route, withour

evasive movements or even fighting. Must try the next one I meet!

These ones did anything but fly straight and level. They were dogfighting my whole squadron and fought to the bitter end, very impressive. If they had bad AI before as you say, then it is most definitely fixed.

Yuppers, Bullethead must be running classes for the FE2b pilots. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

Fortunately the Quirks are still safe and easy opponents for the Luftstreitkräfte - no amount of improvements can make them dangerous for even the worst German pilot. :biggrin:

Buggers damaged me enough that I had to crash land a second time. Next time I see a flight of these hornets we are going around! Thankfully luck is holding out and escaped back to homebase two times, on DiD that is the best luck I have had yet.

Really feel like a moron when I realized I meant the F2B not the FE2. Engaged a flight of the FE2 and they did keep it straight and level, though the rear gunner certainly doesnt sleep. Hope I didnt get anyones hopes up!

You did, Fliegenhund - poor Bullethead. He would have been so enthusiastic about it.

The F2b is the notorious Bristol Fighter - the nemesis of all German scouts!

You did, Fliegenhund - poor Bullethead. He would have been so enthusiastic about it.

Yeah, what a let-down reading this thread to the end, after being out of town all weekend at a funer--I mean wedding :biggrin: