Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Pulling up

blink.gif In a small but high engery furball 7 N-17s and 3 albatross D-2s zooming , claiming. turning, from 8000ft down to the deck, some just playing follow the leeder firing at each others tail. Diving the N-17 U pull up to fire at a passing target, sure of good hits ,and your lower right wing comes off ? yes.gif Managed to crash land and spent time in the hospital.

Yes it should come off under high stress. Listen to the creaking ;)

Nieuports and the sesquiplane aircraft (1 wing + 1 smaller wing) have weak lower wings (similar problem with Albatros series that copied the Nieuport design). High speed diving or high G manouvres (especially pulling up sharply) cause over stress, and at some point.. snap.

Be more gentle basically.

Hello,

reading this post i just remembered i seem not to be able to damage my Albatros D.III in a vertical dive - i seem not to be able to gain enough speed to crack the lower wing, even well above 350 kilometers/h with full throttle in a vertical dive the plane will not acccelerate beyond this speed, i do not lose the wing, and am able to pull out of the dive without damage ..

Time is april and Jasta is 11 - well i know they were invincible in this month, but ... grin.gif

Greetings,

Catfish

Make sure you are patched up to date. Wings do come off on the Albs (DIII's mostly but all do) tested it many times, and also more recently when Olham said he could not make them break. Think he reinstalled in the end..

Wing damage from diving isn't great in CFS3, but they do get damage when overspeed just takes too long usually. Mostly wing breaks will come from severe manoeuvring, pull ups after a dive. it will usually not be 1 dive and pull up but a few. DV's are slightly stronger (may take say 5 or 6 180 mph dives, DIII maybe 2 or 3). Again with the trillion settings and options, joystick settings etc etc, hard to make it work for everyone, but it definitely does do it.

Oh yes, it definitely does. I have shed more than a few lower wings off my Nieups, and a couple of Albs to boot. Try getting into a good dive with a lot of speed, then pull back slightly while keeping your speed, then shove the stick all the way to the front of the cockpit. Then watch as those wing bits you were so attached to a moment earlier are now fluttering in the breeze over No Man's Land. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Hello,

ok thanks, just thought it should break during a dive alone at some speed without even pulling out

but no major problem ,

thanks and greetings,

Catfish

I think it might have happend to me while flying a Pup. All of the sudden, after recovering from a dive, I was out of control. That was a number of patches ago. I don't think Pups are known for having a weak structure, but that was after surviving a serious furball earlier in the mission.

I fell asleep for a moment in a Nieuport 11 (no one came up to greet me--the engine noise is is as bad as white lines on the highway) and was jolted awake by a change in the noise. There was the ground coming at me I yanked the stick back. That stalled it and I nosed over. I tried to recover correctly but the plane came apart and my pilot had an intimate experience with Mother Earth.

Moral don't be lulled by the engine.

Oh, yes the plane will come apart.