Sign in to follow this  
DarthRevan

Open GL or Direct X?

I have a general question:

Some games let you chose OpenGL or Direct X, so my question is "what to use Direct X or OpenGL?"

The answer is "it depends." Even if they let you pick both, the programmers worked in one more than the other and then "ported" it over later.

In the case of Il-2, it was done in OGL and the DX rendering is far inferior. 90% of modern software uses DX over OGL, the only other notable exception being id software and its games starting with Quake, and all the way up to the current Doom 3 engine used in D3, Quake 4, Prey, ET: Quake Wars, and recently Wolfenstein. Their new game Rage I'm not sure about as far as OGL or DX, but Carmack seems to love OGL so I'm not betting on it disappearing yet.

I don't know if Oleg is using DX or OGL for Storm of War either.

Last game I remember where you had multiple equivalent choices was Decent 3 in 1999. No OGL that I recall, you had software (non 3D, it did suck), Direct X, and Glide (aka 3DFx's 3D API for Voodoo cards only). Glide and DX looked and ran about the same on a Voodoo card, non-Voodoo cards had to use DX.

The answer is "it depends." Even if they let you pick both, the programmers worked in one more than the other and then "ported" it over later.

In the case of Il-2, it was done in OGL and the DX rendering is far inferior. 90% of modern software uses DX over OGL, the only other notable exception being id software and its games starting with Quake, and all the way up to the current Doom 3 engine used in D3, Quake 4, Prey, ET: Quake Wars, and recently Wolfenstein. Their new game Rage I'm not sure about as far as OGL or DX, but Carmack seems to love OGL so I'm not betting on it disappearing yet.

I don't know if Oleg is using DX or OGL for Storm of War either.

Last game I remember where you had multiple equivalent choices was Decent 3 in 1999. No OGL that I recall, you had software (non 3D, it did suck), Direct X, and Glide (aka 3DFx's 3D API for Voodoo cards only). Glide and DX looked and ran about the same on a Voodoo card, non-Voodoo cards had to use DX.

The game I wonder over is Euro Truck Simulator (Big Rig Europe or something similar in the US)