Sign in to follow this  
Roger55

New CPU

Not a topic really, just an announcement. Had the tech show me how to install a new processor this morning. Going fine in the shop but now the fan is ticking like a clock.

Have to go back at the crack of dawn and get the old fan reinstalled. I could do it if I had some thermal grease. (explative deleted)

My family's luck.rofl.gif

Not a topic really, just an announcement.  Had the tech show me how to install a new processor this morning.  Going fine in the shop but now the fan is ticking like a clock.  

Have to go back at the crack of dawn and get the old fan reinstalled.  I could do it if I had some thermal grease. (explative deleted)

I do not get the point for OFF3 inhere ??? but if I'm right go to th.paste info on how to put on thermal paste, if not then its sorry from my side!!!!!!!

Not a topic really, just an announcement. Had the tech show me how to install a new processor this morning. Going fine in the shop but now the fan is ticking like a clock.

Have to go back at the crack of dawn and get the old fan reinstalled. I could do it if I had some thermal grease. (explative deleted)

Rodger

check at Office Depot or Staples. They may carry the thermal grease.

GB

Well, folks thanks for the help.clapping.gif I got the old fan in there just fine thanks to you all. Now I have a better CPU and a cooler running one. The old dual core Celeron ran a 58 C; this Intel runs at 35 C. A lot more switching going on over time! Have to find a 1024 reasonable Vid card that I can afford (about a hundred bucks?) to replace the 512 that is in there now.

I should have made clear that I am upgrading stuff to run OFF better.

The CPU seemed the place to start. I upgraded the Vid in my old Celeron machine that died and it only made a 10% difference in the frame rates for FS2004 and that wasn't enough to run CF3 well. So I thought, first the CPU (that's harder to get right because of the board) then the Vid Card.

So phase one accomplished.grin.gif

Well, folks thanks for the help.clapping.gif I got the old (yea only about a month old--can't believe the brand new fan had a bad bearing) fan in there just fine thanks to you all. Now I have a better CPU and a cooler running one. The old dual core Celeron ran a 58 C; this Intel runs at 35 C. A lot more switching going on over time! Have to find a 1024 reasonable Vid card that I can afford (about a hundred bucks?) to replace the 512 that is in there now.

I should have made clear that I am upgrading stuff to run OFF better.

The CPU seemed the place to start. I upgraded the Vid in my old Celeron machine that died and it only made a 10% difference in the frame rates for FS2004 and that wasn't enough to run CF3 well. So I thought, first the CPU (that's harder to get right because of the board) then the Vid Card.

So phase one accomplished.grin.gif

Doesn't everybody . . . . . . there should be a disclaimer on the DVD container . .OBD is not responseable for blowing the rent money on a new video card, or the costs you might inncur in Dlvorce Courtgrin.gif

So true Uncleal. :ok:

I'm gonna' stop hanging around the Xtreme Systems forums and start coming here for my tech advice from now on.

I have met the Vid card and it is nutsyikes.gif . What a confusing mess.

This is what I gather so far from the card that is in there. The interface is a PCI express bus. I suppose its redundant to say that it has a DVI. The 512 MB on the board is DDR2.

Well, I see cards with DDR3 and DDR5dntknw.gif. I don't have a clue as to whether that's compatable with the DDR2 SDRAM mainboard memory that the Intel board supports or it even makes a difference.

Oh by the way I looked on NewEgg and their memory/board compatability utility only works with a brand name PC. I know the name of the Intel board but the computer is what Granite a local outfit builds (memory looked cheap). Their little utility has name like Dell and wants a model number.

Then there is the matter of cooling. The puppy that's in there is heat sink cooledheat.gif . What happens if I stick a card with a fan in the box. Is that going to screw up the cooling that's working now?dntknw.gif

And just what is the most advantageous thinng to do. Put more RAM on the board or more RAM on the Vid Card?dntknw.gif

This is harder than than firing a 45 degree deflection shot that hits.

By the way I finally shot an E III down.

Nothing is "wrong." Just once I'd like to get away with all the settings all the way up on a flight sim, I guess.

Thanks for the link to PC wizard. I do have the Utility already.

I do know a great deal about this system like the motherboard has 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM 1GB memory moduales with two slots empty (2GB already on board). That it is an Intel DQ35JOE. That Intel recommends the Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 CPU, among others, that I now have in there for that board.

That the card bus is PCI express. That the MSI Nvidia GeForce Card that I now have has 512MB DDR2 memory (remember what it says on the OFF site, 1024MB). That it's GPU is being cooled by a heat sink and it's running temp is 42 C.

But all these venders are not to helpful and their search functions are not set up for easy searching using just parameters.

Somebody that I can't remember recomended that new Intel processor on this site and it turned out to be the best choice among a limited number the mother board would support. That's why I started up this discussion on this board, because it sounds like we have some wise and savy folks here.

I hope that is OK.