Sign in to follow this  
Gremlin_WoH

OT: Mad Otter Games acquires Red Baron Series

This is very intriguing. RB with updated graphics? (Assuming I can run it on my rig, of course :))

I'm in.....

This is interesting, but without the source code there is little else that can be improved upon that hasn't already been done over the last 10+ years. And as noted in the article, it would be easier and better to start over with a current game engine. Also, $1,500 for the code? If someone actually still has it and didn't sell it a few years back when the offer was many times that amount what is the chance of them being enticed by this sum? Just wondering.

Cheers!

Lou

This is interesting, but without the source code there is little else that can be improved upon that hasn't already been done over the last 10+ years. And as noted in the article, it would be easier and better to start over with a current game engine. Also, $1,500 for the code? If someone actually still has it and didn't sell it a few years back when the offer was many times that amount what is the chance of them being enticed by this sum? Just wondering.

Cheers!

Lou

Thats a fair point Lou...But there must come a time when the code is practically worthless, if you are unable to make anything new from it?

I can't see how the code for RB would transform that game into anything more than it already is...IE an outdated old program from the 20th Century

Thats a fair point Lou...But there must come a time when the code is practically worthless, if you are unable to make anything new from it?

I can't see how the code for RB would transform that game into anything more than it already is...IE an outdated old program from the 20th Century

We (SWWISA) tried this years ago. It was deemed by a few 'insiders' that had privy to the RB3D code, that Vivendi lost it, or it was unknowingly destroyed when they took over. If it appears again, by some virtue of someone hording it on floppies under a mattress, I would be shocked. We had direct communication with a few folks that were right out of the programming team at Sierra... so it was good info.

We made every possible attempt to get the code, but not having much money to pool for offer, did not help.

So we'll see where it goes... but as far as graphics are concerned, forget it... it's all Voodoo code. It would have to be re-written from scratch. But... the main core of the game, which is the campaign manager should be usefull. Honestly though.. I don't think it will be better than OFF's. WM has made every attempt, and still is, at getting OFF to include everything RB3D had, and then some.

All the best,

OvS

Edited by OvS

Being given the source code now for RB3D would be a bit like suddenly finding yourself with the patent rights and build drawings for a coal oil lantern. There just won't be much market for anything you can do with it.

Cheers!

Lou

Being given the source code now for RB3D would be a bit like suddenly finding yourself with the patent rights and build drawings for a coal oil lantern. There just won't be much market for anything you can do with it.

Cheers!

Lou

That made me laugh. You said it all with that.