Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Questions For Dangerous Waters Dev Team

if you're not sure what it is check out their site Dangerous Waters...also read about it.So got a question for the Dev team please post them here and we'll be sending them along to Sonalysts as they've been nice enough to agree to answer them.

Looks interesting.

How about a release date to start with?

And how will multiplayer work? How many players?

Just a slight BUMP

There must be others who are curious about this ambitious looking title.

Ie. how "simmy" will it be... You would think that a battleship a sub and an airplane would be miles apart in how difficult they would be to model in that respect. My experience tells me that when playing the "role" of a ship or sub, you tend to play it rather strategically or tactically and don't demand the rather more hardcaore simulatiuon feel that you expect of an airplane. The roll angle af a turning submarine tends not to be considered so important as long as the sonar characteristics etc seems to be true to life. Will this game cater for all?

waiting to hear back from dev team but it looks like it's a cross between,Sub Command,a Aircraft based ASW sim and a full on naval sim...but the great part will be the multi player..the acoustical data should match that or be better than Sub Command...

Some more questions for ya...

I understand that we will be able to control our own unit. If I am in a P-3 Ill fly it, I can do ASW consoles dropping sono-bouys and listening to accoustics, and be weps officer too, launching weapons right?

Im also wondering if there will be AI units in MP and if Ill be able to control them?

Does this game have single player? Will I be able to control other, AI, units than my own then?

This was on their website "Features" page and might help us to keep from posting redundant questions.

ONE NAVAL BATTLEFIELD

Cooperative and head-to-head multiplayer modes allow controllable submarine, surface, and air platforms to battle it out in the definitive naval combat experience.

MULTI-STATION MODE

Players can command a platform on their own in multiplayer, or collaborate with multiple players in "Multi-station Mode" as they each operate individual stations and strive to work together as a team on the SAME platform.

"REAL WORLD" PLATFORMS

Detailed depictions of each controllable platform's stations and their respective arsenals provide a realistic game play experience.

CUTTING-EDGE SENSOR MODELLING AND PHYSICS

Authentic simulation of sensor performance both in the air and through the ocean environment challenge the player to detect unknown enemies. Realistic depection of flight characteristic, buoyancy, air resistance, and gravity provide realistic control and maneuvering.

SCALABLE 3D ENGINE AND EFFECTS

Updated 3D graphics engine provides realistic depiction of ocean swells, water reflections, and environmental conditions.

WORLDWIDE DATABASE

Extensive worldwide database provided by the U.S. Naval Institute offers detailed descriptions of platforms and weaponry to accomodate all possible global conflicts. Over 270+ platforms comprising 17 of the world's navies can do battle for control of the open ocean.

MISSION CREATION TOOLS USED BY THE GAME'S DESIGNERS

Powerful mission editor that was used by the developers to create the missions that will be shipped with the game, will be available to the player to create their own scenarios. Players will be able to create their own single missions or string together their own campaign. These tools will allow the player extensive control over the mission content and enable him to generate an infinite number of mission possibilities.

DYNAMIC YET PERSISTENT CAMPAIGNS

Players will compete in two distinct campaigns in which their actions have a profound effect on the missions that follow. The use of dynamic elements such as probability of inclusion, dynamic groups of objects, dynamic inclusion of mission goals, and rules of engagement that can change mid-mission all ensure that the campaigns with never play the same way twice.

QUICK MISSION MODE

Upon selecting their platform and mission difficulty level the player will generate an entirely random and dynamic mission. It will be composed of an infinite combination of mission goals, enemy forces and random locations.

Still nothing said as I can see about single player modes if any.

Also note the vessals and aircraft that will be included in this sim, rather awesome. Platforms Take a look at the KILO SS platform info. Its incrediblebly detailed. Notice the player weps you'll be controlling. I didnt know the old Kilo's carried SA-N-8 and -5 surface to air missiles! I knew the newer boats did. That P-3 better watch his bisquits ot they'll be burnin', hehe.

Another question...will it be possible later for the devs, or perhaps even the community, to mod this game and/or add more platforms. I'd espesially love to see a Spruance class DD as these were MAJOR ASW platforms, more so than Perry class methinks. Perry class big advantage is being the main ASW platform at present since the decomm of nearly all Spruance class.

Just for everyone's info, I dont think there is a more SERIOUS naval sim developer than Sonalyst. These guys are NAVY! So you know whatever they come out with WILL be bigtime accurate authentic sim.

Edited by pcpilot

Rereading the "Features" above, I would guess the campaign and Quick Mission modes would be single player correct? (EDIT: This is correct, they ARE single-player.)

Watched their "little" movie. The ship models and water look pretty nice. Looking forward to seeing a few more movies espesially showing the interface at work being used.

I also checked out the interview with COMBATSIM.COM. I'd forgotten about this. It answers a lot of questions. They even said they are striving for a 2nd quarter release, COOL! :)

Hey Dagger, thanks for posting this, Im getting excited about this sim, ought to be something really nice. :)