Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

A Duel in the Sun: Nels Alberts meets Friedrich Kempf

Excellent video, Lou. That was an epic dance. Love the music choice as well (was that the Berlin Philharmonic ? ). If I FRAPped one of my fights there'd be title, 6 seconds of footage, then credits hehe. Brilliant m8.

Edited by Baldric

I totally agree, BH. It's good in one way that classical music is popularised in adverts and film but bad that it become clichéd as a result.

Well, the folks who made the old classics popular in recent times no doubt grew up hearing them as background music to Bugs Bunny et al doing slapstick. And, of course, the movie version of A Clockwork Orange did its share to popularize not only Beethoven but also the last part of "The William Tell Overture" for those who were too young to have seen the B&W "Lone Ranger" series.

I feel the same you do about Dies Irae, about that other 'famous' Latin piece 'O Fortuna'. IMO Orff showed real genius in setting relatively obscure Latin texts to some incredible music... but you'd never have a glimpse of it from film and TV.

Yup, Latin's where it's at. My favorite part of the original The Omen was the theme song rofl.gif

And I agree that Mozart never put a foot wrong musically. Still not my favourite composer though, Vaughan Williams has that accolade, the Tallis Fantasia is what music exists for.

I tend to favor Elmore James myself cool.gif .

Baldric, thanks Sir, glad you enjoyed the video and the music. That particular version of Mozart's work was done by the Philadelphia Orchestra, if I remember correctly.

Bullethead, Elmore James...outstanding blues man, "Dust My Broom", one of my favs. But I've so many in the genre that I find great I couldn't possibly pick a single artist as my top choice: Blind Lemon Jefferson, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker, and on and on. Man, love the blues.

As to "A Clockwork Orange"? Well, after 35+ years that Kubrick film effort still disturbs me.

Cheers!

Lou

I feel awful now..as I appear to be the only Barbarian to not like the music much :grin:

In my defence however, I am an Ex Punk Rocker (if indeed that is admissable evidence to my heracy?) :drinks:

• Like 1

In my defence however, I am an Ex Punk Rocker (if indeed that is admissable evidence to my heracy?) drinks.gif

lol wk i know the feeling was a proud day when my oldest came home and said daddy i heard some great music today are they new(ramones, $ex pistols, sod , and of course wendy o and th plasmatics and who would ever forget muffy and the ducks)

thats wheni whipped out the pic of me at 17 right before before ehading to paris island and sporting my 16 in lime green mohawk,

of course she did me one better..makes a man proud to have achiken for a daughter lol

post-24208-12536230334114.jpg

Must be frustrating for the kids of today - we have done all the really bad things ourselves

and long before them.

Bullethead, Elmore James...outstanding blues man, "Dust My Broom", one of my favs. But I've so many in the genre that I find great I couldn't possibly pick a single artist as my top choice: Blind Lemon Jefferson, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker, and on and on. Man, love the blues.

I think Robert Johnson did "Dust My Broom" prior to Elmore. In fact, he did almost everything before everybody else on the list, at least in terms of getting it recorded. But of course he stole a lot of it from other folks about whom we know nothing.

Long ago, I was a blues guitarist. I still have my axes but I haven't touched them in a couple years and last time I did, I sounded so bad I quit in disgust. Still, everybody should, at least once in life, play a blues guiitar solo while walking on top of a bar, with your head in smoke so thick it's hard to see the drinks you have to step over. As Guitar Slim used to say, "The things that I used to do...." In fact, that was my favorite thing to solo on in this position drinks.gif .

As to "A Clockwork Orange"? Well, after 35+ years that Kubrick film effort still disturbs me.

Well, it was supposed to be disturbing, so I guess that means it was done right blink.gif . I think the book was even more disturbing, especially when Little Alex decided to have a son at the end yikes.gif .

In my defence however, I am an Ex Punk Rocker (if indeed that is admissable evidence to my heracy?) drinks.gif

Is there such a thing as an "ex-Punker"? I thought that was as permanent as being a Jarhead.

thats wheni whipped out the pic of me at 17 right before before ehading to paris island and sporting my 16 in lime green mohawk,

Damn, I bet showing up like that sealed your fate with the DIs. You always struck me as the Jarhead type, but I don't recall knowing that until now. So Semper Fi! Salute.gif

Must be frustrating for the kids of today - we have done all the really bad things ourselves and long before them.

No kidding. Thank the Dark Gods that the aberation in human behavior known as Victorianism is now dead and gone, and people are back to normal: randy, drunken, rude, and brawling. drinks.gif Too bad dueling isn't yet legal again. There are a lot of jerks I'd like to shoot or stab, their choice grin.gif .