Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

Combining Gmax Objects from Different Files?

How do you take objects from 1 Gmax file and put them into a different Gmax file? For example, suppose I have a file with nothing in it but a Vickers gun, which I made with the idea of being able to use it in many different airplane models. How do I get it from its own file into an airplane file? I can neither make this work nor find any docs on how to do it.

Thanks.

Edited by Bullethead

Select the part(s), export them (not "export" but "export selected") and import them in the other model - now you just have to place it (if it has the same scale - if not - good luck...).

Select the part(s), export them (not "export" but "export selected") and import them in the other model - now you just have to place it (if it has the same scale - if not - good luck...).

The problem I have with this is that Gmax is like MS Paint--it can only have 1 file open at a time. So, I open my MG file and no matter what I do to it, it's gone when I open my airplane file. How do you get around that?

You can save all the parts you like,and then use 'em later in different projects,building up a "library" of usefull objects,so you don't have to model and remodel them again and again,I used to do that,when doing RTW and MTW II stuff ( helmets,swords,lances,scabbards,anything...)

You can save all the parts you like,and then use 'em later in different projects,building up a "library" of usefull objects

Yup, that's the plan....

However, I can't figure out how to make it work. Gmax can't import .gmax files and can't export into any of the formats it can import. Plus, Gmax can only have 1 file open at a time. So what's the procedure for making this happen? Please spell it out step by step.

Well I was using 3D Studio Max 7 and 8,back then,I understand G Max is a tuned down version of it,and it's probably no more supported

by Autodesk,but in Studio Max you could save files in .max,wich is proprietary format,and then import 'em again and again.

Yup, that's the plan....

However, I can't figure out how to make it work. Gmax can't import .gmax files and can't export into any of the formats it can import. Plus, Gmax can only have 1 file open at a time. So what's the procedure for making this happen? Please spell it out step by step.

Don't use Import or Export, use Merge.

1. Open the model you want to add bits to.
  2. Then select Merge... from the File menu and select the file with part(s) you want to add to your model.
  3. A list box opens and you select the parts you want to add, then click OK.
  4. Open the Select by Name list (key H or click on the Select by Name button on the toolbar) to see the part(s) highlighted in your model's part list. Beware of hidden parts - it's possible you may import parts that are hidden and you will have to Unhide them before they show up (key 5 - not the number pad 5 - or use the Display panel to see the list of hidden parts and select what you want).

This is hugely useful for adding in bits from earlier or other versions of a model or incorporating parts you have been working on separately.

Edited by hairyspin
  • Like 1

Don't use Import or Export, use Merge.

Oh joy, oh heaven, oh exquisite bliss!

Thanks muchos! This works like a charm. Though I live for 1000 years, may you attend my funeral. drinks.gif

Thanks muchos! This works like a charm. Though I live for 1000 years, may you attend my funeral. drinks.gif

I'll keep my best shoes polished.grandpa.gif