Sign in to follow this  
BaronvonBlitz

First impressions

Ok, I just few days ago received OFF and today, I got it installed with fresh CFS3 install. The installation process was like a walk in the park - very simple, just swapping CDs/DVDs and waiting. Same thing with updates, no problems at all.

After getting the game to run, I got some HomeField error issues (since I'm running finnish OS), but switching the regional settings took care of the problem. After that I was ready to - though I'm running a bit low-end computer setup (Athlon 3800+ (2.0GHz), Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB, 1GB 800MHz DDR2), I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to run the game with slider setting 352231 quite smoothly - only problem being occasionally the lack of RAM (you could tell this by noticing slight stutter occasionally, when some new scenery was loaded. I bet I'd need 2GB + some extra on the graphics card). Also, my OLD CH Products controllers (you know, the gameport version) were also simply calibrated and worked instantly! Then, as all was up and running, it was time to get flying. I took off (ok, I cheated and used air start) and had some instant combat flying with Fokker E.III, while my opponent had to settle with B.E 2c. Flight modeling seems to be very good, the game has excellent response to my CH controllers. Only thing is that the E.III at least seems to fly very smoothly; no wobbling around at all (I was expecting that the scouts would be all over the place, as these kites are supposed to be light and designed with no idea about aerodynamics).

Since I can stay in the air, I thought I can have a bit fighting too. I searched the B.E 2c and closed in, firing short bursts - I had a bit difficult at first to find the correct aiming spot, once found, it was easy to place the bullets where I wanted them. Suddenly I noticed that the B.E 2c was slowing down and I might collide, I gently moved my Fokker to his 5 o'clock (or 4:30 :) ). I hit almost full left rudder, banked slightly to right and WHOA!! There was B.E 2c right in my sights and I was able to fire nice, long burst into his engine. That was it, the B.E 2c was in flames! Well, this is nothing to brag about, since this was just instant action with rookie pilot at the controls of the B.E 2c - but, on the other hand, I'm too a rookie in the world of OFF :P

After this brief testing, I must say that this game seems to be something that I've been waiting for a long time - a realistic flight simulator, with PROPER campaign and with strong feel of really 'being there'. To this day, I've had to rely on Red Baron Hell's Angels when it comes to WW1 sim (Even the WW2 is also not properly covered yet in my opinion). So, even with this little experience of OFF under my belt, I want to warmly thank you guys, who have made OFF Phase 3!!!

Baron von Blitz

PS. Austro-Hungarian & Italian front would be highly welcomed ;)

Welcome Baron..New guy buys the drinks! :drinks:

Great write up there...glad you have seen the light, and made the leap back in time once more!...The Immersion in OFF is second to none! (IMHO)

You will find there are not enough hours in the day to explore all it's possibilities! (but it sure is fun trying!)

Welcome to OFF Herr Baron,

Glad you enjoyed it. The installation is indeed easy, and I'm glad you solved your teething problems instead of getting all frustrated.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions, just come to CombatAce Forum and ask away.

Hi Herr Baron!

Welcome to the wonderful skies of Flanders, be prepared to be blowned away from what you are going to live the next weeks, to say the least. And take some time to speak to family and friends, you're going to miss them!! As you already know, new guy buys the drinks!! ;-))

This sim is getting better everyday and the community here is the very best I ever seen, nice to see you here too and glad you decided to fly for the dark side!

For ze Kaiser! itifonhom

BaronvonBlitz: I must say that this game seems to besomething that I've been waiting for a long time - a realistic flightsimulator,

with PROPER campaign and with strong feel of really 'beingthere'.

This line expresses best, what everyone said after a short test.

Welcome over Flanders, mein lieber Baron von Blitz!

Ziss iss your chance to fly ze most beautifully painted aircraft, ant crash ze crumpetz

viss der twin Spandaus - letz gett ze Blue Max!

Next thing to get (if you don't have it already): the great TrackIR4 or 5,

to get the real cockpit view - an incredible device you wouldn't miss, once you have it.

Would you please send me a PM with your town and country (Finland?),

please, I want to add you to the OFF Pilots Map. Thank you.

Edited by Olham

Welcome, sounds like you are having a proper start to the OFF world. Good write up of your experience so far.