Sign in to follow this  
von Baur

A Couple of Questions

Beg pardon if they've been asked and answered elsewhere, but I'm old and may not have enough time left to search and sift.

Flight lead:

I've selected lead by rank in workshop, but I am always the boss. Yes, I enlisted as a leutnant (you don't think someone with 'von' in front of his name is going to stand for being an enlisted man, do you?) but there have been times when I've had other leutnants and even an oberleutnant or two in the flight and they're still following me. I'd like to think it's because Hauptmann Boelcke recognizes my vastly superior leadership abilities **cough, cough**, but I have a feeling it's some kind of glitch (did they have glitches in 1916?).

Weather:

Why do I have missions in bad weather? Even in WWII rain and low clouds put a damper on air activity. Why do you think flyboys got the reputation as pansies they did among the ground troops? And yet, there I am on the field, my cockpit filling with rain and Herr Hauptmann telling me to take off. I don't want every day to be clear-and-a-million, but I could see getting one of those notes saying "Air operations have been suspended for the last several days due to bad weather, but the skies are clearing and it's time once again to have at the enemy" or "I hope you've all rested during the recent spate of unflyable waether, because the meteorology office expects clearing skies and we must make up for lost time", with an appropriate skip ahead a few days. I've taken to ending missions that open with rain and simply telling the ground crew to push my machine back into its hangar and walking to the mess, but along with scowls from the commander this tack is being met with a lot of missions 'flown' in my pilot's dossier that never took place. Is there a way to delete these so that I no longer have those 0-minute missions?

Flamers:

I'm guessing the vast majority of my kills are flamers. If you doubt that, ask those who fly mp with me. I know these airplanes were highly flammable, what with their unarmored fuel tanks and doped canvas skin and wooden frames, but I understood that they were rather rare irl. Have I been misinformed? Or is there a propensity to light 'em up?

And finally, Clouds:

I seem to be getting the extreme turbulence again when I enter one. Is anyone else having this problem, or am I just lucky? Is there something I can do to reduce it? I'm patched to 1.32G (or H, or J, or X or whatever the one released last week is) and my realism is pretty much maxxed out with flight model set to realistic.

I'll answer the weather question: Yes you should get days were flights are cancelled due to weather. It is fairly common in the winter. Have you got weather set to historical in the workshops...that would probably need to be set correctly. If they still make you fly in the rain then it is just one of those super important missions I guess :)

There are days when operations are cancelled due to weather. However, if you look at the records, and we have, missions were flown even under the most apalling conditions; there were very few days when there was no aerial activity. The weather you see in OFF, every day, is based on met records, data from the 'Comic Cuts', TSTB, squadron and battalion war diaries, artillery records, and various other sources. Unfortunately, we can't tune it to specific locales, so one weather system must fit the entire Front, but the weather you see was what the troops saw on any given day.

Cheers,

shredward

If it's an attack mission: airfields, railyards, troop positions, etc., you will lead regardless of settings.