Sign in to follow this  
quack74

3 more Dr.1's of Ltn Josef Jacobs

Here are two more Fokker Dr.1's flown by Ltn. Josef Jacobs of Jasta 7. An early version of Fokker Dr.1 450/17, with the "Winged Devil" marking on the fuselage sides, having Iron Crosses as the national insignia. I have seen a small section of a photo of this early version showing the Iron Cross on the fuselage just aft of the white wing. This would certainly indicate that Jacobs had 450/17 before April of 1917. I put the Iron Crosses on the lower wings as well. I did this because on the later version of 450/17 it had thick white borders around the newer Baulkenkruez on its' lower wings. Possibly being so thick to cover up the Iron Crosses. Paul Baumer Had crosses on his lower wings, why not Jacobs? The photo can be seen in a thread over at theaerodrome.com. You have to do a search for 450/17 ( I cant remember the link).

Also I did a late version of Fokker Dr.1 (possibly) 470/17 with late style white crosses. This Dr.1 is seen , in Paul Leaman's book The Fokker Dr.1 Triplane on page 153 and in Osprey's Fokker Dr.1 Aces of WWI Page 71, in a line up photo of Jasta 7 at St. Marguerite in June 1918 along with another of Jacobs' "reserve?" Dr.1's. Maybe it was 450/17 repainted or it was that possible third Dr.1 that Jacobs once said he had. I shurly dont know. But he did have three different triplane schemes. Hmmm.

Anyway that third Dr.1 scheme, That other Dr.1 seen second from left in that same line up photo is believed to be the last version of 450/17 of which he flew up until he was forced to crash land in October 1918. Why the repaint? Who knows. Was a nice piece of work to just cover up.

Pre April 1917 450/17

470/17 with white crosses

Last version of 450/17 mid summer to October 1918

Will post them soon. Need to do a write-up.

Edited by quack74

Very, very nice quack. I love the weathering also. First class!