Sign in to follow this  
BaronvonBlitz

Stability issue with OFF

Hi all,

The game itself is still running quite well on my lower end system (Athlon 3800+ (2.0 GHz), 1 GB 800MHz RAM, Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB - I'm getting 20-40 FPS), but an issue has come up; I'm having quite a lot of problems with game stability. I can fly quite easily and safely Quick Combat missions, but when it comes to flying a campaign (you know, longer flights, more scenery, more action), I'm quite often thrown back to briefing screen in the middle of the flight...sometimes my computer might even reboot suddenly.

I'm not sure, if this is a problem with the game, or if I might have some faulty component in my computer case (I ran Memtest86, just to check out the RAM modules, no problems there - the graphics card is another that just MIGHT be a problem). I also shut down some software, that I normally allow to run on the background (Firewall + Antivirus). I'm not sure if I'm dreaming, but seems that the stability improved after this somewhat, but not enough. So, these clues has lead me to think, if this problem might be connected to too small amount of memory (1GB RAM + 256MB on the graphics card), combined with Win XP crappy memory handling?

What do you guys think, all educated or uneducated guesses would be highly welcomed :)

BR,

Baron

Edited by BaronvonBlitz

Maybe it's not a hardware memory issue but a virtual memory issue caused by XP. Just a guess. I'm coming from FSX and virtual memory is an issue there, specially at long flights. Maybe extending your virtual memory in XP will help......

itifonhom

P.S. That's only a guess, I'm in no sence "expert" or experienced such issue with OFF.

Might also be a cooling issue either on your CPU or video card. More goes on in campaign than QC.

You are a little lacking in CPU speed and system memory.

Lower Spec system example -

Minimum recommended to have a reasonable experience:

CPU Type: AMD XP3200 or higher (2.2Ghz+) or Intel 2.2 Ghz Duo Core or higher

20 GB of disk space.

Memory Amount: 2 GB or more

Video Card Make/Type: NVidia Geforce 6600GT (256MB) / RADEON X850 XT or higher

Example OFF Slider settings: 352221

Overall Graphic Detail: 3

Aircraft:5

Effects:2

Terrain:2

Scenery:2

Clouds:1

Skins settings: low

Depending on system configuration should give FPS around 10 min-40 max depending on settings in workshop

Lower settings are possible for lower systems but fps may be poor.

CJ

PS: Have you tried "Alacrity PC" or "Enditall"?

Edited by Cameljockey

Hi BaronvonBlitz,

I'm no expert but the arbitrary reboots can indicate a failing power supply. A few years ago I experienced this very trouble.

Cheers,

Greg

The CPU temp is running around 41-42C (or around 106-108F) immediately after such sudden reboot, so I'd say that the CPU is ok. On the other hand, the graphics card is another issue and I'll have to check that next.

Darn, maybe I just have to build me a new computer altogether - OFF seems to be worth it ;)

-Baron-

I'd also go with checking your power supply and upping your RAM.

What is the wattage of your PS?

Try upping your RAM another MB or two. After that, you can increase your virtual memory settings.

I do not think the PS is the problem, when it comes to wattage (if it's failing, that's another issue) - I'm running on Antec 450W PS, my CPU has 65W TDP and the Radeon X1650 Pro has a 45W power consumption under 3D full load. At 80% efficiency rate this gives a mere 140W power consumption and a lot of reserves for HD, DVD, MoBo, coolers etc.

Currently I'm running at 1GB of RAM, which is low, I know - I've built my current rig 2,5 yrs ago and mainly using it for web-surfing and playing Steel Panthers: World at War and some Red Baron Hell's Angels. These games do not need that much CPU or RAM, thus I kinda forgot that my rig is getting old, tired and slow :D Anyway, I think I'll go ang get me a couple of GBs of RAM - that's cheap enough to run some tests. If I'm still getting stability issues, I think I'll just throw my current rig out of the window and build me a new one...

-Baron-

Edited by BaronvonBlitz