Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

JUst how much money does one have to throw at FSX to get a decent frame rate?

Just put in a 5870 vid card and FSX still has crap frame rates. Think I will go back to FS2004 because with that version I should be able to run with max eye candy on and still get a decent frame rate.

What CPU do you have? That has an equal bearing on performance.

My cpu is C2D@3.4GHZ and have 4GB of DDR2 ram. I don't think my cpu is the issue and it is just a poorly coded gamethat is the problem. Using the highly touted DX10 "feature" is just a waste of time. I can get FSX running OK but I was expecting better. I was thinking of upgrading to i7 870 with 4GB of DDR3 but from what I have read it is not much of an upgrade unless I can get the cpu to OC to about 4.0GHZ.

Going to quad core will see the most benefits if the game is coded to use multiple threads. FSX is old enough that I'm not sure it is.

Like Vista, FSX is a huge disapointment. The amount of computing power to get it to run decently is beyond ridiculous. I went back to FS9 after trying to get FSX tweaked enough to run decently, and failed.

-S

As crazy as it sounds I have mine right where I want it running at a decent rate 30-40 FPS running with an oldish dual core 3800 Athalon with a Radeon 4870 vid card... and I have the sliders 3/4 maxed out not totally maxed but getting there... and with plenty of add-on's.

As crazy as it sounds I have mine right where I want it running at a decent rate 30-40 FPS running with an oldish dual core 3800 Athalon with a Radeon 4870 vid card... and I have the sliders 3/4 maxed out not totally maxed but getting there... and with plenty of add-on's.

I have a great time with my rig:

Win xpsp3

LG 19 monitor max res 1280-1024

nvidia gtx280

Intel E8500 duo 3.16Ghz

4Gb of kingston ram

I can run fs9 full maxed out with hi rez terrain and addons

I can run easily FSX with the highflightsimulation dual core specilal .cfg file availble for 3 usd at their site!using hi rez terrains and active sky plus hi-rez addons too!