Sign in to follow this  
rwmarth

Flying patrols in foggy/cloudy weather

The winter of 1917 is a rather cloudy one. As such, when flying airfield defense missions for the Germans, heavy fog and clouds is practically the norm. So is it proper procedure to try and fly through the clouds in order to get up to a decent altitude and hope for an eventual break in the clouds, or is it proper to fly low enough that my vision isn't obstructed (which can mean flying just a few hundred feet up at times)? Just curious as to what pilots would have really done given this weather...

blink.gif I dont really know. I heard or read somewhere that when the mail flyers flew the mail. They stayed under the cloud layer, when caught in the fog or clouds they looked for holes. No hole = Bailout when the fuel ranout.yikes.gif

Hiya rwmarth! drinks.gif One thing I try to do consistently is go for altitude--- altitude is life. Often times you can fly up and above the low ground obscuring clouds and still be assured of action. I usually try for greater than 10000 feet, up to operational ceiling for whichever machine I'm flying. I'd also suggest utilizing the clouds as cover, however I'm unsure if the AI 'see' through the clouds, but so far its worked for me. Best of luck! Salute.gif

rwmarth, I use the same approach as Baldric. Get as much alt as I can and watch for holes in the clouds to navigate by. And as also mentioned, alt is life. By staying as high as possible my odds are much better of catching the EA below me rather than above. It is quite thrilling to spot a flight of enemy planes through the breaks in the clouds below and pounce on them, then climb back up before they know what hit them.

Cheers!

Lou