Sign in to follow this  
ChampionsVA56

F2H-2B Banshee skin for VF-11 Korean War

F2H-2B Banshee skin for VF-11 Korean War

Another skin for the A team Skunkworks F2H-2 Banshee. This time its VF-11....the "Red Rippers" off the USS Kearsarge (CV-33) in 1952. Place the VFA-11 file in your F2H-2 file and go fly it......ENJOY!!

I have a transparent tail with that skin. Even resizing it to 512 x 512 didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks

Sounds like a faulty tga (decal). Can you provide a sceenie to confirm? Also, is there more than 3 decals called out for that mesh??

wrench

kevin stein

As I suspected.... too many decals on the mesh (see 1st shot below)

The issue is the aircraft ID/production designtor/service/BuNum should be ONE decal, as the number of decals per mesh has been exceeded. Rule of Thumb ™ is not more than 3, although TK decals tutorial says you can use 4, but this always causes problems.

To see how it's done, shot 2 is my VF-172 Banjo skin. Others to examine would be the various Korean Skyraider skins and the F9F-5 Panter update (all available here at CA) I've done. The Banjo skin only at my site.

All the "F2H-2/Navy/BuNum" decals need to be tossed and recreated using the format you see that I used. They also don't need to be a massive 256x256 image with 12 pt text. As you can see in image 3, this is off one of the ADs, all is on one 128x128 decal. You control the in-game size via the decals ini Scale= statement. The font is AmrilloUSAF (albet not quite perfect for Navy/Marine aircraft, but close enough)

Also, if using LESS than 18 individual numbers (which TK states in the minimum number for serial/modex/plane-in-group numbers) there's no real need for a numbers.lst, as having so few defeats it's purpose.

My suggestion, remake the decals, and reupload the package. If you can't 'overwrite' the existing upload, upload a new one and PM one of us Moderators, and we'll delete the old.

I'd also make triple sure the README is included IN the zip ... that's policy here at CA. You should also include the screenie, but that up to you. I always do.

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

As I suspected.... too many decals on the mesh (see 1st shot below)

The issue is the aircraft ID/production designtor/service/BuNum should be ONE decal, as the number of decals per mesh has been exceeded. Rule of Thumb is not more than 3, although TK decals tutorial says you can use 4, but this always causes problems.

To see how it's done, shot 2 is my VF-172 Banjo skin. Others to examine would be the various Korean Skyraider skins and the F9F-5 Panter update (all available here at CA) I've done. The Banjo skin only at my site.

All the "F2H-2/Navy/BuNum" decals need to be tossed and recreated using the format you see that I used. They also don't need to be a massive 256x256 image with 12 pt text. As you can see in image 3, this is off one of the ADs, all is on one 128x128 decal. You control the in-game size via the decals ini Scale= statement. The font is AmrilloUSAF (albet not quite perfect for Navy/Marine aircraft, but close enough)

Also, if using LESS than 18 individual numbers (which TK states in the minimum number for serial/modex/plane-in-group numbers) there's no real need for a numbers.lst, as having so few defeats it's purpose.

My suggestion, remake the decals, and reupload the package. If you can't 'overwrite' the existing upload, upload a new one and PM one of us Moderators, and we'll delete the old.

I'd also make triple sure the README is included IN the zip ... that's policy here at CA. You should also include the screenie, but that up to you. I always do.

wrench

kevin stein

Wrench

Thanks much for figuring this out. In the meantime I stumbled on a workaround. Paste this over your decal file for VF-11:

[Decal001]

MeshName=Nose

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=Insignia

Position=2.4,0.285

Rotation=358

Scale=1.9

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal002]

MeshName=Nose

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=Insignia

Position=2.4,0.285

Rotation=002

Scale=1.9

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal003]

MeshName=Wing_Left

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

FilenameFormat=Insignia

Position=-5.5,0.20

Scale=1.8

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal004]

MeshName=Wing_Right

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

FilenameFormat=Insignia

Position=5.5,0.20

Scale=1.8

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal005]

MeshName=Wing_Left

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/NAVY

Position=-5.5,0.25

Scale=3.6

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal006]

MeshName=Wing_Right

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/T

Position=5.5,0.035

Scale=4.5

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal007]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

Position=-4.5,0.6

Rotation=358

Scale=3.1

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal008]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

Position=-4.5,0.6

Rotation=002

Scale=3.1

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal009]

MeshName=Nose

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/RipperE

Position=3.2,0.55

Rotation=358

Scale=0.80

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal010]

MeshName=Nose

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/RipperE

Position=3.2,0.50

Rotation=002

Scale=0.80

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal011]

MeshName=Tail

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

Position=-6.3,2.1

Scale=6.0

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal012]

MeshName=Tail

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

Position=-6.3,2.1

Scale=6.0

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal013]

MeshName=Rudder

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/MBuNoH

Position=-5.55,1.25

Scale=2.4

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal014]

MeshName=Rudder

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/MBuNoH

Position=-5.55,1.25

Scale=2.4

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal015]

MeshName=Nose

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/NoseNum

Position=4.0,0.275

Rotation=358

Scale=3.0

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal016]

MeshName=Nose

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=LEFT

Position=4.0,0.275

Rotation=002

Scale=3.0

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal017]

MeshName=Wing_Right

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=TOP

Position=4.65,0.1

Scale=3.3

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal018]

MeshName=Tail

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=LEFT

Position=-6.4,3.175

Scale=1.0

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal019]

MeshName=Tail

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=RIGHT

Position=-6.4,3.175

Scale=1.0

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal020]

MeshName=Tail

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/BuNo

Position=-5.55,1.175

Scale=2.4

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal021]

MeshName=Tail

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F-2H2/VFA-11/D/BuNo

Position=-5.525,1.175

Scale=2.4

DecalMaxLOD=4

Transparent tail problem goes away!

Of course they'll work, as they're off the maxed-out mesh. Also puts them in incorrect locations; BuAer will have something to say about that fer sure!!! :grin:

All things considered, it's simplier/easier to just do them right. I can make 25 decals like that in less than 2 hours (and that includes head breaks, cigertte breaks, soda breaks, p0rn breaks ... you get the idea)! The worst thing is the AmrilloUSAF font dosen't include the little dash (-) that has to be done in Photoshop with a 2 or 3 pixel square brush. That takes the longest.

wrench

kevinstein

Have some mercy on those of us that are just learning. Although I had no issues with the BuNo and the mesh....I can see others did. So therefore any future releases will include a one part Bureau number to correct this. Appereciate your criticism of my work Kevin...steep learning curve for us new people who are trying to reach your level of knowledge.