Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Finally...

Finally got into a dogfight last night and survived and nailed 2 Fokker EIII from Jasta 1 but had to bail from the fight as I had run out of ammunition for the front gun plus damage to my engine... :yikes: , had to rely on my rear gunner to protect my tail.

Anyway all the way back to base I had a shadow eindecker following me only broke off when I landed successfully has anyone else had this happen as it was really strange for a 40 mile flight with me and my shadow...

Also had to complete my first forms for kills and as there where no witnesses as I was over German lines and my wingies carried on going home...

Looks like I was designated rearguard taking on 5 EIII in a Sopwith 1/2 Strutter I must be mad as I could outrun them but then again shoudln't have been a real problem as the only disadvantage I really had was being outnumbered 5 to 1 but I was in the old term Keen as mustard at getting into a scrap...

Ah, first proper scrap. I've been shadowed like that many times. Occassionaly in you predicament I would land at a friendly field and park. Watch the airfield defense fire upon the E/A and either bring it down or drive it off. Then restart the engine and head for home.

That was the funny thing about it all it seemed as though the plane waggled its wings after I landed and it stayed outside the airfield defence's. Was really strange but saying that I think I took out a named pilot on that sortie... I think his name was Martin Xander or something like that opened fire on him and everything I fired fell into the cockpit and surrounds. Was a good scrap... shame it couldn't have lasted longer as it was a short burst of around 20 rounds...