Hello,

over the weekend i tried to make a simple standalone surface AMRAAM launcher(standalone because most modern planes have SEAD loads made only of ARMs). I am not at my computer at this moment, so i can't post the inis.

what i did was:

made a copy of the HAWK missile launcher

adjusted dates, renamed inis, etc.

changed type to static AAA (as most maps don't have western SAM sites)

replaced HAWK missiles with AIM-120As (the version with engine start = 0 sec.)

replaced [DetectSystem] with the one from the HAWK radar (HIPIR? the one that is classified as SAM radar)

now it should work (the setup is similar to Pasko's(?) SA-3 quad launcher - the one on tank chassis, though that is set as mobile AAA)

but it doesn't.

the SLAMRAAMs appear on the map, they have missiles and they try to lock you up.

But they don't get a lock on (the inner ring on RWR) and i've seen only one launch - i flew towards it with a Su-24 at 10 000 ft (no ECM) and the launcher fired when i was directly overhead. Otherwise not a single missile was fired at any other eastern ac regardless of position and altitude...

Does anyone have any ideas why it doesn't work. I'll post the inis when i get home.

very intriguing.

I did some work with this system in the NCR not too long ago and the idea of adding SLAMRAAM from one of the various launchers either currently fielded or in development to the game is one of personal interest.

I'd like to look at your ini's and see what I can deduce.

post-19383-12585604395221.jpg

post-19383-12585604515624.jpg

haven't had a chance to test anything on this, but I think the issue is the launch range. The range is in meters and is currently set to only 500 meters. so at just over 1/2 miles is when the missile would launch.

in the surface launch mode, we plan on shooting a bit further out......

Edited by Typhoid

sorry, but where is it set? I can't find it in the ini.

sorry, but where is it set? I can't find it in the ini.

I think I misread the min range as the launch range - I'll look at it again over the next day or two and try to figure it out.

I've done some more testing and i think that the basic HAWK laucher aims the missiles a bit high. I think that they are aimed out of the field of view of the seeker. I created a special ground launched varsion of the AMRAAM (with high seeker gimble limit) and i got more launches, but still at short ranges and in general the behaviour is erratic.

Now I've increased FOW of the seeker and it seems to work far better. Almost too well :grin: .

Now I've increased FOW of the seeker and it seems to work far better. Almost too well :grin: .

that rings a bell from another project.

It is a pretty effective weapon in real life. the NASAAMS was fielded with the AIM-120B and the upcoming Army fielding of HUMRAAM is planned to use the AIM-120C. So you might try those others too.

I want mod the HAWK laucher into the 8 missile system (as it was really tested - http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-120.html ) and use Suicidal's Hummer to make the HUMRAAM. I don't know a thing about 3d modelling so it will be ini only. I don't know if there is a good model to stand in for the NASAAMS. As for the HUMRAAM, what is the real configuration? The picture in previous link shows 5 AMRAAMS and the picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AIM-120_AMRAAM_P6230147.JPG shows a different config with 4 AMRAAM and two probable sidewinders.

I want mod the HAWK laucher into the 8 missile system (as it was really tested - http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-120.html ) and use Suicidal's Hummer to make the HUMRAAM. I don't know a thing about 3d modelling so it will be ini only. I don't know if there is a good model to stand in for the NASAAMS. As for the HUMRAAM, what is the real configuration? The picture in previous link shows 5 AMRAAMS and the picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AIM-120_AMRAAM_P6230147.JPG shows a different config with 4 AMRAAM and two probable sidewinders.

the real configuration of the Humraam was still being refined when I left the program (a couple of months ago) and I don't think they've really finalized what they will actually field under the SLAMRAAM Army program. I'd go with the 5 missile config as most likely and tested under CLAWS. The actual fielding date has been pushed back several years and the USMC was playing with CLAWS (also based on the Humvee http://www.army-technology.com/projects/surface-launched/ ) but have since dropped that.

The Hawk launcher was just used to test the concept, that was never a planned a fielding option. NASAAMS was fielded for the Norweigans and we leased/purchased back 4 launchers to defend the capitol until the Army fields SLAMRAAM to replace the Avengers (which are also deployed in the capitol). The Norweigan fielding used AIM-120B and the Army SLAMRAAM will field 120C or maybe D. That's the real world program.

For here, I'd use the Hawk and Humvee unless one of the 3d modellers can be induced to build a NASAAMs. So ini modding, which is all I can do either, is the way to go. I haven't turned on my computer at home in three days so I haven't had a chance to play with this yet. I like this one though and hope to help you refine it and post some test missions.

I have too much RL stuff to attend to right now. Someone decided that it is an excellent idea to end the winter term before Chrismas. Everyone is thrilled by that - teachers because the are about two-three weeks short of what the courses should last and students because they don't get the christmas and the 1-2 weeks after them to catch up on various assingments. And i have a lot of assingments, so SLAMRAAM is on hold until i get stuff like SOAP, distributed computing systems and mathematical statistics under control. I think that i can get back to in about two weeks.

A small update:

I've made a plausible HAWK derived launcher with 8 missiles. I am still not entirely happy with the engagement parameters. During a recent test it nailed my wingman at about 10 km and low alt and ignored me as I paraded around at different distances and altitudes.

post-18661-12615284767963.jpg

I completely failed with the HUMRAAM. I simply can't make the missiles show on the wehicle. So a question for the more skilled modders (Yes, I am looking at you Wrench :salute: ) Is it possible to add parts to a ground object that are not represented on the 3D model (like a "virtual" turret and missile rails)?

Any ideas will be apreciated.

PM rusty_hawk and he may be able to do it for a fee.