Sign in to follow this  
Fates

F-14 And F-18 Losses

NEWSDESK

29 Mar 2004 23:50:15 GMT

US Navy jets crash in Tennessee, Calif., crew safe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON, March 29 (Reuters) - A Navy F-14D Tomcat went down on Monday in the Pacific near San Diego with engine trouble, and a Navy F/A-18A Hornet crashed in a rural area near Chattanooga, Tennessee, with all three crew members involved ejecting safely, officials said.

The two-seat Tomcat experienced engine trouble after taking off on a routine training mission from the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis, then crashed about two miles (3 km) off the California coast while trying to land at San Diego's Naval Air Station North Island, the Navy said.

Both air crew members ejected safely, were picked up at sea, and were listed in good condition at a Navy clinic. The Tomcat was part of a squadron from Naval Air Station Oceana, Virginia.

The single-seat Hornet, based out of Naval Air Station Atlanta, went down in an unpopulated wooded area about 30 miles (50 km) north of Chattanooga, said Cmdr. Jack Hanzlik, a Navy spokesman.

The Hornet had performed a ceremonial flyover of a NASCAR auto racing event in Bristol, Tennessee over the weekend, and was flying back to Atlanta went the plane experienced problems, Hanzlik said. The pilot was taken to a local hospital after ejecting and was treated for minor injuries.

The Navy said it was investigating the cause of both crashes.

On Friday, another Navy Hornet crashed after takeoff from Raleigh-Durham International Airport in North Carolina during a training mission. The pilot safely ejected.

It was not a good weekend for the Navy pilots. Hopely all came soon from hospital.

USS John C. Stennis, the ship of that Tomcat, I visit it once in San Diego. What a nice big ship.

Salute

Dutchy

I'm glad to see that those guys are ok. Training accidents tend to happen from time to time. I remember in my old unit, a small convoy was going up a mountain in Hungary, It had rained quite a bit and a mudslide came from nowhere. The first Humvee had slid and flipped over when there was a guy in the machinegun turret. Well, he didn't make it. Even in times of mutual peace these things happen.

Yeah, on the USS Independance back in'78, we lost 8 guys in our workup to, and eventual, deployment. 5 were pilots, the other 3 flight deck crewmen. Who ever said the cold war didnt cost...

Looks like anonther fleetwide safety standdown is in the wind. The one thing that will turn your stomache is hearing an ELT going off or finding out an aircraft from your base is down.

And PC, I know where youare comming from as I watched one of VA-75's bird miss the wire and go over the side. The crew never had a chance.

I think the Cold War killed more servicemembers on both sides than any shooting war ever did.

Glad the pilots got out safe.

I remember back when the Rippers lost our nutz (A/C 100) in the North Atlantic, Blue water ops and no where to bingo. Sour Tanker, and the A7 that was launched to try and fuel him said he only seen the seats come out of it. 1 F-14 down for running out of gas. Both pilots got retrieved and were okay. (Thankfully)

edited to clarify. :D

Edited by Chaingun