Sign in to follow this  
Av8er

Viewing Skins

Hi I remember reading somewhere on the fourm that you can use a program to open up the skins in the skins folder to look at them. I can't find the post now, could someone tell me?

Oh ok thanks, if the program is found tell me please.

thanks, Av8er

Oh ok thanks, if the program is found tell me please.

thanks, Av8er

It called DDSview... you drop it into your \skins folder, and literally scroll with the mouse scroll. It's very fast, however, it degrades the quality of the skins by over half. But it's only for viewing anyway...

OvS

I use DXTBmp to view and convert the .dds files to a format that I can edit and back to .dds files. Not sure where I got it, but I'd guess a search would turn it up.

Another quick 'n' easy one is Windows Texture Viewer or WTV which ia available here: Windows Texture Viewer . If you have Photoshop then the NVidia plug-ins for reading DDS file with PS can be located from that link too.

There is also a great way of looking at the planes in your aircraft directory....

Make a shortcut to cfs3.exe on your desktop, select properties, and add a -m3dview to the target

gallery_45808_317_2239.jpg

Now start cfs3 from the shortcut, you will get 2 windows. One will be a smaller command window, and the other will be the viewing window...attention at first is on the command window...

gallery_45808_317_14897.jpg

gallery_45808_317_31960.jpg

gallery_45808_317_36611.jpg

Be sure to go back and remove the -m3dview from the target when done!!

Bloody hell SD...you kept that one quiet! :salute:

That would be a fantastic addon for BHaH!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

That just goe's to show how much work goe's in to just 1 aircraft, credit to the devs for the months/years of work so we get our shiney new planes.... Salute.gif

Thanx, Duck. This will make checking my handiwork while skinning faster and simpler.

Wow!! First the multiple shortcut thing and now this. Any other little secrets you're keeping from us?

well..i am realy fond of my "how to play off without your wife knowing",,,but im going to keep that to myself...

and sorry,,didnt know the m3dview wasnt kinda common knowlege..just threw it out there for new pilots...

but,,as im sure there are other "paramaters", or whatever they are called that you can add....i know the -window is another one (or is it windowed?).....

anyone knowing any more..let us know....

Thanks for all the replys. Now i can go and choose a skin i like for the modle that I am building.

It called DDSview... you drop it into your \skins folder, and literally scroll with the mouse scroll. It's very fast, however, it degrades the quality of the skins by over half. But it's only for viewing anyway...

OvS

IF I use the DDSview will effect gameplay at all?

nope,,it has nothing to do the game,,its just for looking at skins when you are not playing....