Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Lucky

Amazed again

I posted this because I just had to tell somebody and my wife just doesn't get it. It's mostly about the status of my computer's performance running OFF.

Specs: Intel P4 3.2 GHZ., Soyo MB 800 MHZ buss, 2GB ram at 400 MHZ, ATI Radeon 3850 Video card.

When BHAH first came out, I could barely squeek by with settings of 4,2,2,4,3.

Now, thanks to OBD's patches and what appears to be AMD/ATI finally unlocking the potential of their video chipset, I am now running with settings of 5,3,3,5,5. and 4x AA

So, given the winter hiatus in 1916 Flanders, I decided to try a different campaign to test the settings. I joined the USAS 13 Aerosquadron in 1918 flying the Spad XIII whichI was previously unable to do. The aerodromes, forests and towns would play like a slideshow and the Spad flew poorly.

This time, I was absolutely amazed. I took off with two wingmen for a recon mission over the front lines. It eas nice and smooth with smooth frame rates. The scenery, whispy clouds, all was breathtakingly beautiful. Not cartoonish at all. A lasting tribute to the work of the OBD team. It really shined when, after the recon patrol was over, I spied one extra flight member who's planform showed me it was a DVII. I won't go into details, but the red and white scheme of the DVII's was absolutely stunning but, again, realistically shaded, not cartoonish.

Due to improvements in the Spad, I was able to hold my own and actually dispatch three DVII's who were poached by my wingmen, That's OK, because they were in turn shot down by the ace that got me later, while I was out of ammo, but I survived. As always happens, the incredible graphics, AI, flying all deliver an incredible and evocative experience. Mere words cannot do it justice. But even on my outdated machine, I'm getting good performance now. The only real stutters I get are from my hard drive when something loads, esp. artillery sounds and other aircraft in the vicinity which can serve to give me an unfair heads up that somethings in the area. I don't get stutters from airfields and scenery anymore, somewhat more like a slight slowing or slide instead of skip so that the graphics overload is barely noticeable.

Just incredible.

I agree - and it is indeed a testimonial to the efforts and talent of the OBD team. I hope I'm not imagining things, but I've also noticed a big difference in overall smoothness (hard to quantify or measure, but definitely something I can distinguish). In fact, like you, I was able to increase my settings to 5-4-4-3-3 and it still runs fairly smooth, even with 10 AC in a furball.

I go back to the original OFF P1. Looking back, the improvements over time have been absolutely remarkable. I can't wait to see HITR, and/or P4. Whatever limitations I used to doubt would ever change, seem to be vanishing as we go. Definitely has become the best gaming purchase I've made in a long while.