Sign in to follow this  
swambast

To you 3DS Modders: Guidance on Polygon Limits?

Title about says it all, what are the suggested recommendations on object polygon limits for the following:

Aircraft Models

Generic Ground Object Models (buildings, vehicles, etc.)

Finally, I have yet to get a clear answer on this one and I know they are obviously interrelated, but what in your opinion impacts performance more: polygon complexity vs. texture maps

Thanks for any insight, much appreciated!

Edited by swambast

These days, with TW games, it's the number of large textures that's the performance killer, rather than a large number of polys (within reason.............90,000 for one model isn't going to help).

I've had six large aircraft carriers happily wandering the virtual ocean with nary a stutter on my mid-fi rig. Of course, they weren't painted, but that's some 125,000 polys that the computer has to deal with.

I try to keep my planes around 15.000 polys, but I think that anything under 20.000 will still work fine. Remember that you can always use progressive lods for different distances.

Anyway just check the .OUT files, they should contain the poly count.

Textures can be a performance killer, but you can easily reduce them to a more comfortable size.

Thanks much Gents, appreciate the guidance!

Thanks much Gents, appreciate the guidance!

Marcelo's Kiev runs 120K polys all by its lonesome. I have not experienced any issues with it.

Hey Guys, sorry one other question please: what would be an ideal polygon count range for STATIC aircraft?