Sign in to follow this  
zagnut

Jealousy

We just got a new dog a couple of weeks ago, and we take her out 3 times a day. Well, the cat sits on the porch and watches us walk off with the dog so she can do her business, but tonight had an interesting twist...

Earlier in the evening, Vicki and I took the dog with us to the pet store thinking she would have a good time there. About an hour and a half later, we get back to find out cat sitting at the front door waiting for us. Usually this really never happens unless one of us is gone a 2 or so days; he wonders where the other went, but today was the first time I have ever seen jealousy in one of my animals.

Just about 30 minutes ago (it's 11:15 now PST), Vicki again took the dog for the last walk of the night. As she was heading out the front door, the cat jump in front of her and the dog yelling "MEOW!" to be let outside. This is not our policy, or in the usual Rules of Enagement when dealing with the cat. He gets most of the house, the porch, and the main bedroom. NOW he's dying to go for a walk. Luckily, we made a contingency plan to deal with this situation; he has a small harness and leash. I tie him up to a tree when I'm working in the garage or washing the car, but never has he been so intent on this whole 'outside' thing.

So, I affix the leash thing and pick him up; at the same time he yells and hisses at me! He wants to do it all by himself! I set the boy down, and away he goes, right into the shrubs. Thank God I had him on a leash. We sit outside for about 10 minutes while he sniffs and eats grass but doesn't really go anywhere, and I tell him "Time to go inside" (he knows this from sitting on the porch near bedtime). He also knows how to say 'no' but in a meow kind of way. So, he starts up "NONONONONONONO!", as I picked him up and headed inside. I get him in, and be throws a Sh*t fit, jumping and yelling at the door to open. He finally calmed down and now he's chilling with me in the computer room.

Now for a question: Has this happened to anyone else???

Edited by zagnut

Hmmm. I have a rather spoiled Chinese Pug back home. When she goes outside we really have to watch her because she thinks the whole neighborhood is hers. Usually I have to go pick her up or chase her back into the house, because if I just call her she just stares at me, gives a little snort and trots away, as if to say "NO!". This is probably because she is the Queen of the house, and does whatever she wants, and gets all the attention.

Now to the jealousy thing. Whenever my sister comes to visit my dad, she brings her pug along. Now he is a real prick when it comes to being the center of attention, mainly because he is the center of attention at his house. So when he sees my pug being attended to, he freaks. He barks, and jumps around, but more importantly he attacks my dog! He's always trying to hump her, and chases her away from her food. Guess it just happens, because when some animals are used to being the only one around, they get really really jealous when they see another animal getting attention from their owners. Oddly enough my dog doesnt care when he's getting all the love.

My eldest daughter has guerilla warfare going on with her cats and dogs. The big problem is that all four of them, two cats and two dogs, get into a p**sing contest-literally. If its not a dog wetting the couch it's a cat and the rug. So now the cats are exiled till the dogs have new homes.

Edited by firehawkordy