Sign in to follow this  
Pappy55

Silly pics of yourself

Hey Stiffy!...I am not sure the C/O would appreciate the Beard!...ever thought of a career in His Majesty's Navy? :yikes:

Actually British troops where allowed beards up until 1939! (at the discretion of commanding officer) from 1939 it has only been permitted for combat engineers and colour sergeants.

The reason it was changed at the outset of ww2 was the new tight fitting gas masks.

It was often discouraged in trench warfare due to the added risk of fleas and lice but was more common in allied high command, often to ape the fine whiskers displayed by the king.

As I understand it, even today, a Sergeant Major of the Salty Pies is supposed to have a beard. (Might be the Colour Sergeant - I forget).

(Salty Pies being Assault Pioneers - the guys who love blowing things up).

They're a little bit mad, and use PE instead of hexamine for making a brew. Nutters.

Very Smart Jim! (though the Cap looks rather large!) :grin:

Standard 6 7/8" although all the hats were a bit 'big'. We weren't allowed to take the wire out of our 'parade' hats. If you look at the cap badge carefully you will see that it has a 'kings crown' like the one of the RFC and even the OFF badge I can see on this screen. It was my father's old badge which I took when he wasn't looking. I should have had a badge with the 'queens crown' on it but only one person ever noticed it.

Me and U2 at RAAF Laverton (c1962); Me and FA18 on USS Kittyhawk (c2007).

post-46959-12622030383998.jpg

post-46959-12622030799834.jpg

Hey, I ended up as a Cpl Apprentice, though in the band I must admit. In fact being the trumpet-major I had six stripes on each arm, very pretty :salute:

Wow I feel like the forum baby now even at 27

Ok here are 2 Normal(ish) pictures of me..

There were taken in Osaka, Japan and i was very..very drunk

Japan20090251024x768.jpg

Japan20091121024x768.jpg

Beer makes u happydrinks.gif

m

Always with a different Japanese girl. :heat:

Yeah.. I found there they were one ones chatting me up..

I made some very good friends there. Hopefully I will be going back about Easter time to live for 1 year.