Sign in to follow this  
OHO

HITR: Better AI near the ground?

Hello,

the only ting that bothered me in OFF was the strange behaviour of the AI near the ground: Going up until stall - hammerhead (or Immelmann)- falling down - going up and so on.

Is this adressed with HITR?

Hello,

the only ting that bothered me in OFF was the strange behaviour of the AI near the ground: Going up until stall - hammerhead (or Immelmann)- falling down - going up and so on.

Is this adressed with HITR?

Not sure, the AI don't go near the ground anymore, they stay high. :good:

I've had AI follow me down to the deck as I tried to escape in my wounded bus. They were pretty effective in the chase, but weren't dodging trees and such. When I managed to land the SOB strafed me. So much for esprit de corps!

On the other hand, when with the advantage and AI go to the deck in a very wounded crate, they deliver a prolonged death display, almost comical in its extreme. They do have an unnatural ability to avoid the ground for as long as possible...

Wish I could say the same :grin:

Edited by Venator

Not sure, the AI don't go near the ground anymore, they stay high. good.gif

It seems to me that the AI's priorities have been changed. Before, the AI didn't much care about its altitude or the consequences of running out of it. Thus, it maneuvered aggressively, you had to do the same to compete, and fights got low rather quickly. Problem was, the AI would stay aggressive down low, but because it no longer had altitude to burn, it would often get into the "porpoising" routine.

Now it seems that the AI is very afraid of losing altitude, to the point that it no longer turns hard. This is how the AI can now stay up high when it's just fighting itself. When it does come down to fight you on the deck, it does so in a shallow dive (often requiring a fairly wide spiral) instead of its nearly vertical dives of before (which I suppose in an improvement for AI Albatri). And when it gets to low level, it appears just as unwilling to turn aggressively as it is at high level. The result is that I haven't yet seen it get into the "porpoise of death" thing. But I'm not thrilled by how this was achieved.

I appreciate OBD's attempts to improve the AI in certain areas we've complained about in the past. But I think they somewhat overshot the mark on this go-round. While having the AI more altitude-conscious is good, right now the player can fly rings around it far too easily. But I'm sure they'll tweak it back some in the near future.

It seems to me that the AI's priorities have been changed. Before, the AI didn't much care about its altitude or the consequences of running out of it. Thus, it maneuvered aggressively, you had to do the same to compete, and fights got low rather quickly. Problem was, the AI would stay aggressive down low, but because it no longer had altitude to burn, it would often get into the "porpoising" routine.

Now it seems that the AI is very afraid of losing altitude, to the point that it no longer turns hard. This is how the AI can now stay up high when it's just fighting itself. When it does come down to fight you on the deck, it does so in a shallow dive (often requiring a fairly wide spiral) instead of its nearly vertical dives of before (which I suppose in an improvement for AI Albatri). And when it gets to low level, it appears just as unwilling to turn aggressively as it is at high level. The result is that I haven't yet seen it get into the "porpoise of death" thing. But I'm not thrilled by how this was achieved.

I appreciate OBD's attempts to improve the AI in certain areas we've complained about in the past. But I think they somewhat overshot the mark on this go-round. While having the AI more altitude-conscious is good, right now the player can fly rings around it far too easily. But I'm sure they'll tweak it back some in the near future.

Try a 12 vs 12 or 20 vs 20 in the quick scenarios and see how long you can run rings around them then. I've had my planes shot to shinola a few times now, for not even one kill in return more than once.

Try a 12 vs 12 or 20 vs 20 in the quick scenarios and see how long you can run rings around them then. I've had my planes shot to shinola a few times now, for not even one kill in return more than once.

I don't fight outside the campaign. The real guys didn't get such practice, so I eschew it myself. Thus, my perspective is limited to what the AI is doing in the campaign.

I have heard it said that the AI is now acting differently in QC and missions than it does in the campaign, although I can't vouch for this. I don't find it surprising, however, given that the campaign setting gives the AI so many more things to take into consideration. You'd think this would have a big effect on its decision-making processes.

My answer. YES, they hound you better at ground level. I just made a dash for my life yesterday in a N-28 with two Fokker DVII's in close chase that (unlike previous AI) made every opportunity to dismantle my machine all the way home!!! Not just stunting about behind me.....I mean they did a little, but mostly just shot my arse up!!grin.gif

ZZ.

Well, my scrap yesterday evening in a Tripe facing several DIIIs took us down to tree top level, and I was glad not to see the rather silly low level Immelmans that were previous fare. If the AI pilots have finally had their fortunes read to them, then I'm happy. At low level, it felt like a dogfight, rather than a cross between Groundhog Day and the 110 metre hurdles.

My 2 cents.

I have been flying a lot of campaign with a little QC to check the new aircraft. What I have found is the AI act a lot more like real pilots in that they try to maintain an altitude advantage. I am constantly trying to get up co-alt and they keep climbing away with an occasional boom and zoom, which feels pretty accurate and is very frustrating. I give this a thumbs up. They seem to be reluctant to engage unless they have a real numerical advantage, and even then you will find that they leave someone high that can always dive in. This also feels real. Unfortunately once you do get them engaged they tend fly stupidly, like in straight lines without trying to turn back on you.

Another thing I have noticed is your wingman AI are a lot more aggressive, you don't seem to have to point out targets to attack. All you have to do is hit "A" and they're on it. Unfortunately I have now been shot by my wingman on occasion and the bastage keeps vulching my kills.

Beard

The wingmen did attack before, too, when pressing "A" - even without assigned target.

But now I sometimes have them firing at the craft I'm chasing, although I have NOT

pressed "A" at all. Then I find it hard to get them back lined in, by pressing "R".

Cause, as long as I'm not in trouble, I want the Nupes for myself! :grin:

But try "H" (help), when you need some - they will be right there and shredder your PITA.