Sign in to follow this  
Typhoon

My Gaming Rig is Dead

As the title suggests I have been out of action for the past week or so. :sad: and it is time to start thinking about replacing the gaming rig. What I need is some advice on Mobo, CPU and Graphics card. :helpme: My soundcard, 24" widescreen monitor, and HOTAS are all servicable. The other question concerns the operating system, XP or Windows 7.

Thanks

Tony

well having just done without my system for 2 months.

psu died and warrentied replacement killed mother boarrd

so $665 later

gigabiyte mobo sli/crossfire

i5 750 cpu

and 4 gigs ddr3

masters all games

my video cards survived so I still use them 2X 8800gts 640meg ram each

as for o/s as soon as i can get ime and money i'll go to windows 7

till then xp is fine

budget?

I'd like to keep it under $1000

Tony

One direction -

Assuming your case and PS are good here is one way to go on Newegg.com - $803 + Shipping - $15 rebate.

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail- $188 (with rebate $173)

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory w/ LEDs Model BL2KIT25664TG1608 - Retail - $125

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail - $280

GIGABYTE GV-R489OC-1GD Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail- $210

LOTS of choices out there!

G

Edited by GaryR

One direction -

Assuming your case and PS are good here is one way to go on Newegg.com - $803 + Shipping - $15 rebate.

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail- $188 (with rebate $173)

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory w/ LEDs Model BL2KIT25664TG1608 - Retail - $125

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail - $280

GIGABYTE GV-R489OC-1GD Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail- $210

LOTS of choices out there!

G

Sorry to hear about your rig. I have a gigabyte board and it is fine (bought from New Egg), but I never got my rebate check. So be careful with the rebate. Gigabyte farms out the rebates and whoever it is that handles the rebates sucks.

You should check on sites were they give you a advice like "best gaming PC for 1500,--" Pick out the components you need. 

Here some info on Tomshardware,  

I would always go for a Intel I7-920 socket1366 CPU  because I think you will run high performance "4core designed" games like "Rise off Flight" now or in the future.

Mobo: Mobo  if you do no overclocking it will simplify your choice 

Vcard:  Vcards If you want a directX11 Vcard then it will be a ATI HD5XXX serie keep in mind your OS must be Vista or Win7, because XP can not handle DirectX11. New games are now designed for DirectX11 so your ready for the future

DDR3 ram: DDR3 RAM

If it is out of budget then go can go for a step lower like Intel 1156 socket mobo and Intel i5 CPU or AMD socket AM3 mobo and AMD Phenom II X4 965 125Watt version.  I would skip the old AMD AM2+ and Intel 775 socket.

After the component choices always check if your PSU can handle this.

Edited by Dutch_P47M

So much for the $1000 budget.

Here is what we came up with:

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P

Proc Intel i7-920

Memory 6 Gig Patriot DDR3 16000

PS 950 W Enermax

HD 300GB WD

Video Card AMD Radeon HD5850

OS Windows 7 Professional

The best part is that the price will be reduced substantially because I agreed to help out the local mom & pop computer store by setting up new systems and removing viruses and malware from his customer's computers. He is currently backlogged about 2 weeks.

Oh and he supplies lunch every day as well.

Tony