Sign in to follow this  
ConradB

My first go at gMax

Here's a pic of my first go at gMax.

fuselagemodel.jpg

Actually, after 3 years of trying and giving up regularly, I finally sat down and started to seriously look into it. Bullethead also helped tremendously with understanding the initial setup of the images and lining them up properly.

This is just a first prototype so it is imperfect, but I want to start with a clean slate and try to get a bit more precise, and hone the skills for building.

LOOKING GRETA I NEEDTO TALK TO BH MYSLEF NEVER LEARNED HOW TO SET UP THE 3 VIEW BOXES MYSELF

LOOKING GRETA I NEEDTO TALK TO BH MYSLEF NEVER LEARNED HOW TO SET UP THE 3 VIEW BOXES MYSELF

I used Finn's Backdrop video tutorial, and the only thing you need to do after creating the box, is drag the side image so the CoG lines up on 0,0,0, coordinates. Cool thing is, the top and front images will follow as it's tied together.

Just can't remember where I got Finn's video tut from. It may have been over at SoH.

Btw, thanks for the compliments!

Just having a hit and miss issue with getting the fuselage halves to weld together. Other than that, it's been interesting learning.

I used Finn's Backdrop video tutorial, and the only thing you need to do after creating the box, is drag the side image so the CoG lines up on 0,0,0, coordinates. Cool thing is, the top and front images will follow as it's tied together

Right! I had NOTHING to do with this. Anything Conrad does is his own ingenuity, because I don't know diddly about this stuff myself grin.gif

Nah dude you were a great help, and between both of you I got it figured out. drinks.gif

Finn's vid is a good one for setting it up with visual and vocal instruction, accept for the older version of gMax he's using as the material editor is different. You did good, even the parts that clear as Mississippi river water after a downpour. grin.gif

A much-needed Albatross C-type if I'm not mistaken.

If this is your first attempt, keep it up for God's sake!

Vasco :pilotfly:

Halberstadt CLII actually. It reminds of one of my old R/C trainers from the 70s when dad was teaching me how to fly. It wasn't a scale plane, but it was cool in GAS markings.

An Albatros C type would be nice, but I couldn't find very good 3 views as that was what I was originally trying to do. I still look for it, but this is a good learning model with the curved and rounded nose and basic box fuselage. So I get to play with compound curves that end in flat sides and bottom.

Guest British_eh

Hi there:

Great plane ConradB. I am goijng to get brave and give it a go in the next month or so. Thanks for the link Haryspin.

Cheers,

British_eh

Just a little update on how it's goin'.

Decided to start fresh after the rough-in of the first round. Bullethead, thanks for the written instructions. They make much more sense now after the initial "need to get used to it" routine. The water ain't so murky now. drinks.gifworship.gif They make a lot more sense now. Trying to describe something that intricate for a rookie is difficult at best. And you did an exceptional job at it.

Still have some things to sort out, like an easier way to make wingtips. But I'll figure it out. And the darn fin and stab won't weld on the centerline. Not a big deal, just another hedge to hop.

Anyways, got the lower wings done, and I'm just curious if the flight model can incorporate "washout" in the wings, as the lower wings has washout at the wingroot, and the wingtips. A pic in my WWI Fighter book shows a nice end-on of the trailing edge which curves down away from the fuselage, and then curves back up at the tip. If the flight model can incoprorate this, I will take the time to model it on the lower wings.

So here's an update pic of the lower wings and fuselage:

fuseandwings.jpg

Thanks British_eh! Hope your start isn't as rocky as mine was.

Edited by ConradB

I'm just curious if the flight model can incorporate "washout" in the wings, as the lower wings has washout at the wingroot, and the wingtips. A pic in my WWI Fighter book shows a nice end-on of the trailing edge which curves down away from the fuselage, and then curves back up at the tip. If the flight model can incoprorate this, I will take the time to model it on the lower wings.

The CFS3 FM does allow for washout - wing twist - so keep modelling! clapping.gif

The CFS3 FM does allow for washout - wing twist - so keep modelling! clapping.gif

Cool! Thanks Hairyspin!

That will give me a break from messin' with the boolean stuff attaching things. I think I'll finish the rest of the tail surfaces, and the topwing tonight.

A little update. The top wing is looking about right. Both the upper and lower wings incorporated washout (wingtwist) so that took some time to get it to look right. Still need to finnish off the tail feathers, and I don't have the ailerons cut in yet, but it's getting there.

Updatepic.jpg

Hot DAMN, you're coming right along. Looks very nice.

Still have some things to sort out, like an easier way to make wingtips. But I'll figure it out. And the darn fin and stab won't weld on the centerline. Not a big deal, just another hedge to hop.

Extrusions is how I do them both. As I said, I'm no expert, but here's how I do it (based on what I got from tutes).....

Wingtips: Extruce the parallel section of the wing to the point where it stops being parallel. If it has washout, grad the outer vertice and rotate them all as needed. The extrude a bit more. Usually, the leading edge changes before the trailing edge, so extrude to where the LE changes. Then drag the other vertices to where the TE changes. Extrude again, drag to match the LE and TE curves, add washout as needed, repeat. Eventually, you'll have to start welding vertices together at the end of your extrusions, until you've got the wingtip shape matching the plan.

Tail Surfaces: Make a spline shaped like the cross-section of the tail surface (horizontal or vertical) and have it cut into the main fuselage object. Get rid of excess vertices along the resulting edges, then extrude the tail surfaces using the same sorts of vertex manipulations as with making wingtips. Because the tail surfaces are this point are part of the fuselage, no welding required except for excess vertices. Once you have them done, select all the polys in the taile surfaces and "separate" them into new objects of the correct names for the fixed tail surfaces. Then extrude the control surfaces off their TEs, separate them, and play with the hinge area vertices as needed.

Thanks BH! I was trying the method which ended up more complicated than it was worth, so I ended up doin' your method on accident. The washout on this bird is pretty darn intense. Go to page 132-133 in the recent book you got, and look at the second pic down from the top, and check out the curve the trailing edge has. It has washout at the outer panels, and the wingroot! I had to just sit back, and work the dots manually to achieve the desired effect. But the end product isn't too bad.

Here's some pics of the basics roughed in.

HCLII-1.jpg

HCLII-2.jpg

HCLII-3.jpg

HCLII-4.jpg

Even the pics if you look closely, the upper and lower wings have pronounced washout. That probably explains why it was a popular aircraft with the schlastas. It would have been a very steady bombing platform and recon type. Also good for shooting the parabelum on the ring mount.

Just a little update on the Halberstadt CLII, The tail feathers and lower wings are attached to the fuselage and the ailerons are now cut in. Thanks for the input on the ailerons Hairyspin! Also added a spinner on the nose to give it the streamlined look.

update11701.jpg

Edited by ConradB

Thanks BH! Here's a little detail shot of the landing gear. Got used to using the boolean cut for the holes for the axle to pass through, and then used the slicing tool to cut the axle tube where it passes through the strut, then it was just a matter of working the vertex dots and welding them to secure it all. I still need to add a thin tube in front odf and behind the axle tube that the original had, as it helped brace the struts.

Landing_Gear.jpg

Conrad, I had no idea - I never come this way. Do you have the Datafile, or anything else I could send that would be of use?

shred

Thankyou Shred!

No I don't have a Datafile going yet. I have some info on the type but it's very limited. Really only covers the top speed I'm guessing at sealevel, and which it lists at 109 max mph, and 97 at 10k ft. Time to 5k is 9.25 minutes, and they list 10k at 24.30 minutes, and 51.55 to 14k, even though it shows a ceiling of 13,500ft. So that's a little odd, but it does mention heating, radio (wireless) and camera equiptment as part of the load. Rather interesting to see the mention of radio. And last of all, 1 spandau, and one parabellum. It doesn't mention anything about ordinance but they did do trench attacks with them, and they were a popular plane for that purpose. Fuel loadout was 35 gallons but no endurence info. I'm gonna guess Imperial as the book is from Britain.

It was enterred in a response for a light attack type, with a max weight of 360kg loaded (793lbs) Aside from that it's pretty sketchy. So anything you can dig up on the type, or may have in your collection of info would be a great help! I was going to try to look up the CLIV they have in Britain to see ifthey have any useful info, but I've not gotten that far yet. And there are enough differences in the two models from aerodynamics, to size, so it would be a hack job trying to combine them into one. Especially if I get to the CLIV unless someone gets there before me.

So if you've got any other things that need to be used for this, or ideas for things, I'm never too proud to hear from folks. Especially when one is up close and in the thick of the project. Miss the forest through the trees type thing. Besides, it frees me up to consentrait on the model and the details associated with it.

So please, feel free to offer up stuff. It will only help things go quicker. Now all I need is a usb plug linked dierectly to the old k-noggin to assimilate all the info in the SDK files. grin.gif

Thanks again Shredward! drinks.gifgood.gif

Btw, that info on the Mercedes DII you sent will work out perfectly! Between the tech drawings and the Mark Miller detailed color drawings, I will be able to make a nice representation of the powerplant. Plus I was just re-reading and forgot there some issued with the 185hp BMW engine and designated the CLIIa, and from what it says, the BMW powered planes had better streamlining on the front end.

Edited by ConradB