Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Finally got my new rig

I got my new HP tower yesterday. Now the very time consuming proccess of transfering all the old files on my old PC to my new one. My old Dell got all screwed up some how and it only runs in Safe Mode. Good thing too. At least I can copy all the imortant stuff and transfer them. I'm using my I-Pod as a storage device. Sounds funny but it works. It's a big flash drive.

The new HP has Windows7 64bit . The only problem I had doing a fresh install of FE was the DirectX. I just had to update the DX to the latest version from Microsoft. So far no other problems to report. So needless to say I am very happy about that.

HP Pavilion P6210F Black Desktop PC (Windows 7 Home Premium)

AMD Athlon II 620 Quad-Core Processor (2.6 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)

6GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (3x2048MB for ultimate performance)(expandable to 16GB)

640GB (7200RPM) Serial ATA hard drive; SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology

NVIDIA GeForce 9100 Graphics with 256MB integrated shared graphics memory. Up to 2.9 GB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 7.

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I would have liked a better graphics card, but I really can't complain. So far it runs everything on perfect, or unlimited settings. Woo hoo!

But I still have to add all my files to the new install from the old one. I'm sure it will slow down a bit after that. Especially with the high polly models. But it's much better than my old PC thats for sure. Now if I only knew how to use Windows7 lol.

Edited by quack74

Hey, great news!

Win7 and 64 bit itslef is breadth of fresh air in performance in my experience, and you'll be surprised how similar it is to XP under the hood. Things you need are just in different places and called different names, and then they call it "new and improved", go figure... :dntknw:

Upgrade the GPU when you've got the liquid cash. The day you buy the card it is obsolete and you feel like sh_t, but that's life.

Not trying to sound like a seasoned hard-core gamer (I've not tried this myself yet but will soon), but since you've got a new rig and are just setting it up, get another small hard drive to install the game/sim folders to and just run the OS on the other (of course). It is supposed to really help with read/write speed of graphics. Some even have a third drive for the page file.

These support drives do not have to big, say only 250 GB so they double as back up drives and read faster because they have less area to search. Big drives like your 640 GB should be partitioned IMHO unless used solely to store movies, music, etc. Maybe just try to format your old Dell drive for this purpose, just to experiment. Can't hurt.

Just a thought.

Edited by Bandy

Congrats quack74.

You're going to really like W7_64.

I posted this in the OFF/BHaH forum earlier:

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2010/01/05/windows-7-god-mode/#

You can name the file anything you like as long as you complete the entry as .{####}

I think it's a hoot that MS calls it GodMode especially since they're out of the flight sim business.

plug_nickel (AL)

I must say that I am very happy with my new set upgood.gif

Took quite some time reinstalling everythingblink.gif But it all works. Even my old Photoshop 7.0. I had to reinstall the 7.0 upgrade CD though. but it works.

Windows7 is very fast and not as hard as I thought to figure out.

As far as FE goes, I keep everything on high not unlimited and hardly no stutter or drop in fraps. The Nvidia9100 seems to do the job.

Felt like I was in detox without my PC and FEthis.gif

I'm back in business.grin.gif

Thanks for all your suggestionsdrinks.gif